Have you looked around and considered how many electronic devices you are using on a daily basis? Our lives are totally surrounded by electronics assisting us, guiding us and sometimes frustrating us too. They have even made their way into the world of pet doors.
There are many manufacturers producing electronic pet doors to make your life and the life of your furry friends easier and safer. While electronic pet doors offer the basic functionality of a pet door, to let your dog or cat outside and then back in again, their options and purpose vary.
Like manual pet doors, electronic dog and cat doors can be installed in human doors, walls, sliding glass doors and sash windows. Additionally, they can prevent unwanted animals from entering your home (a couple of models keep out raccoons), restrict which pets are allowed to use the door, some feature timer controls and some can even raise the “flap” for the pet! Many will also not interfere with your electronic dog fence or have collars that can work with both. Let’s review some of the most popular models of these doors and their features.
Best Electronic Pet doors for Small Dogs & Cats – Raccoon Proof
For small doggies and cats, a couple of the most popular electronic door models are the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door and Cat Mate “Elite” 305 Super Selective Electronic Cat Door. These are two models that are raccoon proof!
- Works with a microchip implanted, by your vet, in your pet so a collar is not necessary. If your dog or cat does not have a microchip this door works with a collar key too, ships with one collar key (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Can be used with up to thirty-two different pets – for those pet lovers or foster parents
- Features a programmable curfew mode which allows you to lock and unlock the flap at certain times
- Special “Raccoon Mode” can be activated to prevent the most determined creatures outside.
- This flap is one of the largest microchip pet doors with a generous 7 inch wide by 7 inch high opening
- Install in a door, wall (optional wall kit needed), glass (before it is tempered) or in the Thermo Panel for sliding glass doors or Thermo Sash for sash windows
- Two year warranty
- Uses RFID collar key technology, ships with two keys (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Program a maximum of eight pets
- It has a cool feature that shows which pets are either inside or outside
- Flap size of 6 inches wide by 6 inches high.
- Timer control included
- Install in a human door or wall (using wall liners)
- Three year limited warranty
Best Electronic Doors for Larger Dogs
For larger dogs the electronic doors that raise the flap for them, like the High Tech Power Pet Automatic Pet Door or PlexiDor Electronic Pet Door, are great options. Both of these doors have a safe-close mode to prevent the door from closing on your pets.
Another thing to consider when selecting this style of pet door is that the interior frame can be as high as 54 inches so you’ll need plenty of vertical wall space.
- Activated by a battery powered collar key (MS-4 is water resistant and MS-5 is rugged and waterproof). Ships with your choice of one collar key (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Power source is wall outlet
- Optional battery backup and optional battery charger kit available in case the power goes out. You may use battery as the primary power source on door mount or sliding glass door panels
- Available in two opening sizes: 8 ¼ inches wide by 10 inches high and 12 ¼ inches wide by 16 inches high
- Programmable 4-way access control (Open, Closed, In-only or Out-only) for an unlimited number of pets
- Install in a human door, wall (wall kit needed) or a sliding glass door panel insert.
- One year warranty
- Door activated by a small, waterproof RFID collar key; does not require batteries. Ships with two keys, additional collar keys available for purchase.
- Six foot cord included to connect to your wall outlet for power. Alternatively, you can hard wire the pet door within your wall.
- Largest opening of any electronic door, 12 ¾ inches wide by 20 inches high – great for households that have large and small pets sharing the same door
- Easy to program for up to 10 pets
- Install in a human door or wall (wall kit needed)
- Five year limited warranty
Electronic Pet doors
For keeping some Pets Inside While Letting Others Out
Want to let one pet out while keeping another in the house? There are doors for this scenario too. The PetSafe Electronic Smart Door and SureFlap DualScan have you covered!
- Battery operated- no need to mount near an outlet.
- Collar requires batteries; ships with one collar key (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Two flap sizes: 5 ½ inches wide by 7 ⅞ inches high and 11 inches wide by 16 inches high.
- Programmable for up to five pets
- Install in a human door or wall (wall kit needed)
- One year warranty
- Activates using a Microchip implanted in your pet by your vet or SureFlap RFID tags (optional purchase)
- Controls which cats enter your home, as well as which cats exit.
- Flap size is on the small size at 5 ¾ inches wide by 4 ¾ inches high
- Program up to thirty-two cats
- Permanent installation available for a door, wall (optional wall kit needed), or glass.
- Temporary installation option available in the Thermo Panel for sliding glass doors or the Thermo Sash for sash windows which are great options for renters or vacation homes
- Two year warranty
These are some of the most popular electronic pet doors in today’s marketplace. There are a few other doors for pets using simpler, magnet technology, but they don’t offer the technical options and clever solutions like the ones highlighted. As technological options expand there will be even more electronic pet door solutions in the future. Until then, you can view our current selection on our website!
Why you should choose an Electronic Pet door over Manual?
Pet doors are just like animals in that they come in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors. They are made for cats and dogs and they are made in both manual and electronic versions.
You need to make an informed decision on getting a manual pet door or an electronic pet door. Learn the stark difference between them and decide on the best suitable manual or electronic pet door for you.
Manual Pet Doors vs Electronic Pet doors
Manual pet doors are the most common option and have a broad selection to choose from. Manual pet doors allow for the same freedom as an electric dog door, but you cannot proactively manage what critters can use it. This could result in stray animals or other undesirables entering your home. A manual pet door is a great option for potty training, if you live in an area where wild animals or burglars are not much of a concern, or if you have a small pet and are looking for an inexpensive option to give your pet the freedom they deserve.
Electronic pet doors have all the benefits of their manual counterparts, but also add a level of security, as only your pet or pets are granted access. This is done through collar keys or implantable chips, which trigger the door once they are within a short range.
Electronic Pet Doors Provide More Security
Electronic pet doors have an extra measure of security where only recognized pets with collar keys or microchips will be able to use the pet door. These pet doors allow your pet to enter and leave your home while keeping out the strays looking to mark a new territory, the wild animals looking for food and any other unwelcome intruders.
For large breed dogs, electronic pet doors can provide a peace of mind that someone will not be able to come into the house via their pet door. The size of the pet door may also deter burglars because they would be wary of the size and type of dog behind the dog door.
Which Type of Electronic Cat or Dog Door is Right for Me?
If you have considered getting an electronic pet door for your pooch, here are some of the best doors that that you must check out:
Best Electronic Pet Door for Cats
Microchip pet doors are perfect for cats who can’t keep a collar on. The pet door would be able to use the identification microchip of a pet to access the pet door. The most popular brand of microchip pet doors is SureFlap.
Best Electronic Pet Door for Small Dogs
Small dogs are also able to use microchip pet doors. The best option for them would be the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door. Unfortunately, there are no microchip door options for medium or large breed dogs in the market.
Best Electronic Pet Door for both Dogs & Cats
Collar Key Activated Pet Door:
Collar key pet doors are great options for dogs and cats. They can be worn in addition to their existing collars. Most of the collar keys are resistant to the day to day activities of dogs, some are even waterproof!
When selecting your pet door, don’t forget to take into account your pet’s size. Not all pet doors are accessible for large breed dogs, and you don’t need a large door if you only have a small pet or cat. That’s why we have doors made for pets of every size!
Also, we never recommend installing an electronic pet door in a metal door, or close to any sort of metal material appliance, as metal can interfere with the electrical function of your pet door. The last thing you’d want is to cut a hole in an area of your house for your pet door and have it not work because there is metal nearby!
Have we convinced you to buy an electronic pet door yet? Here are your options.