In the time that you’ve cared for your pet, you’ve probably learned a good amount of new and interesting facts. Everyday experiences with your furry friend can even teach you a thing or two about their unique quirks and abilities as every pet has their own personality. Here is a list of some interesting animal facts. Some may shock you, while others might help you to improve as a pet owner, by expanding your knowledge. Have a look for yourself!
– A puppy is born blind, deaf, and toothless.
– Dogs have three eyelids, the third of which (the haw) is used to keep eyes protected and lubricated.
– Dalmatians are born all white with no spots.
– The Basenji is the only dog without a bark
– All dogs have a common ancestor with a weasel-like animal called the Miacis, which can be traced 40-million years.
– According to a survey by Kloof, a few of the best dog breeds for men to attract a date are the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever, and the Siberian Husky. For women, breeds include the Beagle, the Poodle, and the Chihuahua.
– Kublai Khan, fifth Khagan of the Mongol Empire, is noted to have owned the most dogs as one person. Khan had 5,000 Mastiffs. Imagine taking care of that many pups!
– A dog can hear sounds four times farther away than humans can.
– On average, dogs can run at a speed of about 19mph. Greyhounds more than double this, maxing out at speed of up to 45pmh.
– The largest dog ever recorded is an English Mastiff named Zorba, weighing in at 343 pounds. He measured 8’ 3” from his nose to his tail.
– The smallest dog ever recorded was a Yorkshire Terrier that weighed in at only 4 ounces. The dog was 3.5” from nose to tail.
– It is estimated that there are 400 million dogs in the world at present.
Dogs can be identified by their nose print, which is as unique as a human fingerprint.
– Cats can make over 100 unique sounds, while dogs are only capable of making about 10
– A cat can leap over five times its own height
– Ever wonder why cats don’t like water? Their fur fails to insulate when it is wet, causing discomfort in most cases.
– The most expensive cat of all time, Little Nicky, costs his owner $50,000. The cat was a clone of a much older feline.
– Isaac Newton invented the first ever cat flap. While experimenting in a dark room, Newton’s cat repeatedly entered, and ruined his testing. As a resolution, the cat door was created.
– Cats are North America’s most popular pets. With 3% of households owning a cat, there are 73 million estimated today, while there are 63 million dogs.
– Cats mark their territory by secreting a scent from special glands located around its face, tail area, and paws.
These are only a few of the many amazing facts there are to know about cats and dogs. What can you share from your knowledge or experience with your pet? Let us know!