The Pet Door Guys: Cat Door In the Glass
The best way to install a cat door through your existing sliding glass door frame is by replacing the glass with a Pet Door Guys unit! The new glass will have a cat door installed at the bottom, and you’ll be able to use your sliding glass door like normal. A glass professional will be needed to come measure your current glass and later swap it out for the new glass that has the cat door. The cat door that is used is the energy efficient Endura Flap, which is an insulating, flexible flap perfect for extreme weather. The flap system is extremely durable and carries a 15 year warranty.
How to Order
- First, check that one of the installation options is suitable for you (see the Placement Guide for a more detailed explanation of the options). They are:
- 2 Panel Slider: Installation in either side of the inside track panel. When using the center-post side, it's important to ensure that the screen will not interfere with the action of the cat door flap.
- 3 Panel Slider: Installation may be in either side of inside track slider or jamb side of 3rd panel. The same concern applies to the screen as above.
- 4 Panel Slider: Installation may be on either side of either inside track panel
- Review How to Measure Your Cat to choose the appropriate size opening for your cat. The unit will have a minimum 3 3/4" step-over height in addition to your existing frame, so be sure to take that into account!
- Engage a local glass shop willing to do the measuring and installation. The glass shop installer disassembles your sliding glass door (a very easy job), takes width, height and thickness measurements then re-installs your glass slider. He completes his portion of the Order Form.
- Read our Detailed Information Page to get more specific information about how this works. Be sure to share this information with the local glass shop. If the installer has questions have them contact us directly and we can answer any specific questions they may have.
- Purchase the product. Your total for merchandise, shipping and any sales tax will be shown. Charges from your local glass shop are not included, so you would pay your installer separately.
- We then arrange with the factory to custom-build a new piece of glass with the cat door in the lower corner that you specify. We have that unit shipped to your glass shop.
At your convenience the glass shop installer returns to your home, uninstalls your glass panel and replaces it with the new panel containing the cat door.
You are responsible for payment to the glass shop for the measurement and install. We will charge you only for the cat door. In our experience, the cost for these two service calls will likely be between $120 and $200 but you may want to establish this cost in advance.
More Important Info
- Click here for more information about LoE glass.
- The vinyl framing is available in white or beige and that's what you're choosing in the drop down product select. The cat door framing comes only in white.
- Because this is a custom order all sales are final.
- Glass that is 34" x 76" or smaller is considered "standard" size.
- Glass that is larger than 34" x 76" is considered "oversize".
- You can get an approximation of your actual glass size right now by measuring the "daylight" dimension (just what you can see) and adding 3/4" in both dimensions. This is NOT accurate enough to order the product.
- Allow about 3-4 weeks plus transit time for delivery.
What is an "In the Glass" Cat Door?
Pet Door Guys
products offer Endura Flap™ exclusively. Here's why -
Design of the Endura Flap
Q: When I purchase a “Through the Glass” dog door, is the entire sliding glass dog door included?
A: No, when you purchase a “through the glass” dog door it comes with the glass panel only. The framing of the sliding door is NOT included in the purchase. Since this unit will replace your current glass inside your framing, there will be an installation process you or a hired professional will need to follow. As well as filling out the appropriate order form.
Q: Can you walk me through this process of ordering the through glass units?
A: First, you’ll want to go over all the information located on the “details” tab of the product you chose and make sure to check out the Placement Guide which will show you where the pet door should be installed based on your current sliding glass door situation.
Next, you will want to Review Sizing Suggestions, Adding Step-Over, and After Installation in order to find the appropriate size opening for your pet. Make sure that when you do get an installer that you give them all this information too, so that they are able to correctly fill out the order form that they will send to us.
Next you purchase the product via our PetDoors website, and we hold the order for you until we receive that order form. Your total for merchandise, shipping and any sales tax will be shown for the glass unit, however the charges from your local glass shop are not included since you would pay them separately.
You will then need to contact a local glass shop to have them do the measuring, installation, and filling out of the order form. The installer will come out and take apart your sliding glass door frame (a very easy job), takes width, height and thickness measurements then re-installs your glass slider.
We ship the completed through glass dog door directly to the installer and they come back out and switch the current unit for the one with the dog door. Done!
Q: What does it mean by standard and oversize glass size?
A: Standard Glass Size has a square inch range of 34" x 76" or smaller. Oversized Glass Size would be any range over 34" x 76" and up to 46" x 92". Both work with Single or Dual Pane Tempered Glass.
Q: When will I get the email asking for my dimensions?
A: As soon as you order an email will be sent asking for the custom dimensions of your glass. The form will look like this:
- - Net Glass Width (in inches, decimal form)
- - Net Glass Height (in inches, decimal form)
- - Replacement Glass Thickness (either: 5/8"", 3/4"", 7/8"", 1"")
- - Patio Door Opening Direction from the OUTSIDE looking in (opens left to right, or right to left)
- - Does the slider slide on the inside or outside of the stationary glass?
Q: What is the minimum step over on the “Through the glass” units?
A: The minimum step over on the through glass units is 3 3/4" plus however tall the frame of the the sliding door is. So if your frame is 2” tall than the minimum step over would be 5-¾”. There are 2" or 4" step over add-on options as well, these will add 2” and 4” to the minimum to raise the step over to accommodate taller pets.
Q: Where can I find someone to install this?
A: If you need help finding a glazier, please visit our Installation Page to find someone in your local area. Please note, not all areas may have a glazier listed.
Q: Why does the price jump so much when I change pet door sizes?
A: “Through the glass” units can be pretty expensive because you’re getting a custom unit made entirely to your specifications. These items can get expensive because of the quality you are purchasing. You are paying for the quality of materials in the glass, metal, and flap which will save you on AC/heating bills and require less in replacement parts.
Q: What is Low “E” coating?
A: It stands for Low-emissivity coating. Low E is applied to the inside of the glass to cut backon the heat and cold transfer. Low outside temperatures combined with moist, warm air inside the house can result in condensation on the inside of any glass window including that in a patio door. Dual pane, low "E" glass can greatly reduce or eliminate this problem. This feature is especially important in cold climates.
Q: What are the benefits to the through glass units?
A: The "through the glass" units don't take up the space for you to walk through like a patio panel pet door would. This is a huge benefit if you have a smaller retrofit slider, as now you don’t have to worry about trying to squeeze through sideways. Additionally, the "through glass" doggie doors utilize your existing lock, so you will not have to worry about how to go about securing your home.
In terms of appearances benefits, it also utilizes your current door frame, so you don't have to worry about matching a new frame with your current door and frame. The constantly open sliding glass door will leave you with extra framing blocking your view outside! When in the glass, you do not experience this issue. The Endura Flap Pet Door included is great for insulation so it compliments the dual pane glass in most new sliders.
Q: Can I install one of the glass units myself?
A: We highly recommend hiring a glass company to install and measure for you. Depending on how handy you are it may be possible, however, if the measurements are off this item cannot be returned due to its customization.
Q: How long does it take to get the “Through the Glass” models?
A: It takes about 3-4 weeks for these types of pet doors to be manufactured. Then, transit time is about 1-5 business days as it ships from the West Coast. When it ships, we will send a tracking number via email, which will include an estimated delivery date so you can schedule with your installer to come out.
Q: Can you change the flap in the glass units if it wears out?
A: Yes, you can purchase replacement Endura Flaps on the website, it might sound strange, but you will need to purchase the one for the Door/Wall Mount since that includes the hole plugs. However, they can be a little difficult to replace because you must remove the whole frame in order to get the new flap into place properly.
Q: Do you offer electronic options for “Through the Glass” pet doors?
A: Yes, the SureFlap Microchip Pet Door and the Cat Mate Elite 355 Super Selective Cat Doors can be installed through the glass. However, these two options are not specifically made for a through glass installation and depending on your glass type would require replacing it or cutting it. On the other hand, the Pet Door Guys pet door option is specifically made for a through glass installation and comes with the glass framing and the panel, but is not an electronic door option.
Glass around Pet Door Separate Glass Framing around Pet Door Included
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
Cat Mate Elite 355 Super Selective Cat Doors Pet Door Guys