- In & Out Cat(s) can come in and out of the flap
- In Only Cat(s) can come in through the flap but cannot leave through the flap
- Out Only Cat(s) can go out through the flap but cannot enter through the flap
- Locked Cat(s) cannot use the flap
- The selected option may be checked by pressing the '4 WAY' button briefly.
Setting Access Options
To set the required access option for your cat(s), proceed as follows:
- Press and hold the '4 WAY' button for 5 seconds until the display flashes.
- Repeatedly press the '4 WAY' button to scroll through the available access options (Fig. 6), until you come to the one you want.
- Press the 'SET' button to save the setting.
To operate the cat flap, you must push the flap and have a programmed I.D. Disc.
The cat flap will look for an I.D. Disc for 2-6 seconds.
Symbol flashes to confirm this). If the I.D. Disc is programmed to allow your cat access, the flap will be unlocked.
To test the cat flap
- Set the '4 WAY' lock as 'IN & OUT'
- Place the programmed I.D. Disc in front of the cat flap door and push the flap. The flap should then unlock.
- Fully open the flap and allow it to close. You will hear it re-lock.
If you repeatedly press the flap without an I.D. Disc being close to the flap, it will go into 'POWER SAVING' mode. You must wait 15 seconds before trying again.
(NOTE: Once the flap has been opened, the 'POWER SAVING' mode is cancelled).
Fitting I.D. Disc(s) to your Cat(s)
- If desired, record your cat’s details on the I.D. Disc label by writing on the label in pen and sticking the clear waterproof cover over the writing.
- IMPORTANT: Attach the Disc directly to the collar, NOT from a ring attached to the collar) so that it is as high as possible and parallel to flap
We recommend the use of a fabric collar without large metal attachments, (other name discs etc.).
Training Your Cat to Use the Cat Flap or if Your Cat Has Lost its I.D. Disc
It may take a little time for your cat to get used to its new cat flap. To help your cat get used to entering and exiting the flap, the flap can be set to 'TRAINING MODE' by pressing the 'PROGRAM' and '4 WAY' buttons firmly at the SAME TIME for 5 seconds. The lock will unlock and the 'IN & OUT' symbol will flash at 15 second intervals.
The 'TRAINING MODE' is useful if your cat has lost its collar and the flap can remain in this mode (Unlocked) until a new collar is purchased.
Please be aware that in Training Mode your cat flap will allow access for other animals.
To exit the 'TRAINING MODE', press the 'PROGRAM' and '4 WAY' buttons at the SAME TIME for 5 seconds and the flap will relock.
For very hesitant cats, whilst in the 'TRAINING MODE', the cat flap can be taped or propped open, and food used to encourage the cat to enter and exit the flap.
NOTE: We do NOT recommend that cats, particularly kittens, are left alone to use their cat flap until you are satisfied that they are completely familiar with its operation.
When the 'LOCKED' indicator flashes the batteries should be replaced. Good quality Alkaline batteries should normally last approximately 6 to 9 months. (Depending on cat(s) usage and number of cats).
Reprogramming a New I.D. Disc
If your cat loses its I.D. Disc, you will need to re-program its replacement as follows:
- Press the 'PROGRAM' button on the left hand end of the circuit board for 5 seconds, until the 'OUT ONLY' indicator illuminates.
- Press the '4 WAY' button repeatedly to select the appropriate I.D. Disc number indicated by the appropriate symbol(s)
- Move the I.D. Disc close to the flap until display symbol flashes.
- Press 'SET' button to save the setting and wait 60 seconds until display clears.
To reset the cat flap back to the setting when you first bought it, hold the 'SET', '4 WAY' and 'PROGRAM' buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. When it has reset, the LED display will flash rapidly. This procedure will erase all I.D. Disc(s) and all other settings. Should you wish to verify this, place a previously programmed I.D. Disc against the cat flap and push the flap. If the flap opens, you need to repeat the 'RESET' instructions. You will then need to re-program the I.D. Disc(s)
- Cat will not use the flap
It may take time for timid cats to learn how to use the cat flap - even if they have used another cat flap before.First try using 'TRAINING MODE'
If necessary, it is possible to increase the time the lock is deactivated after sensing your cat from the standard 20 seconds to a maximum of 80 seconds. (Above 20 seconds, the power saving circuitry is deactivated so your cat will find it easier to use the flap, although battery consumption and the risk of another animal getting through the flap is increased).
To adjust this time setting, press the 'SET' and 'PROGRAM' buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the display illuminates. Adjust the time by pressing the '4 WAY' button repeatedly. Press the 'SET' button to save the setting.
Flap does not open in response to programmed Disc
- Check '4 WAY' lock is programmed to permit access in the chosen direction.
- The energy saving circuitry may have been activated. Do not move the flap for 60 seconds before attempting to use again.
- Check batteries are correctly orientated and not in need of replacement
- Check the I.D. Disc is correctly fitted to cat's collar
- Check cat flap is mounted at correct height
- If all else fails, remove batteries and wait a minimum of 5 minutes. Refit batteries and then perform a 'FACTORY RESET'
Flap has not fully closed
This problem may happen very occasionally and will normally self correct within 30 minutes. If problem persists remove batteries for 5 minutes before replacing when correct lock action should be resumed.
Unauthorized access through the flap
- If a cat is allowed to pass through the flap but hesitates, it is possible for another animal to 'push in' and get through the flap. The chances of this happening can be reduced by resetting the time the lock is deactivated after sensing your cat from the standard 20 seconds to say, 10 seconds. To do this, press the 'SET' and 'PROGRAM' buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds until the display flashes. Adjust the time by pressing the '4 WAY' button repeatedly to achieve the desired time as indicated Press the 'SET' button to save the setting.
- When it is vital that there is no unauthorized access the '4 WAY' lock should be set to 'LOCKED' for ALL cats.
Difficulty in setting required functions/times
- Buttons need to be pressed firmly.
- Remember to press the 'SET' button after making a change to save the setting.
- When you need to press 2 buttons together, ensure they are pressed at the same time.