Ideal VIP 150 Patio Panel Dog Door
The only insulated panel made specifically for vinyl sliding glass doors. The Ideal VIP 150 Patio Panel Dog Door fits wider sliding tracks and even has catches that can mate with your existing lock. If you have a vinyl framed sliding glass door, the sizes and rise options suit your pet, and if you don't mind a minor installation job then this pet door will look more like it 'belongs' than any other panel pet door.
Features of the VIP 150 Pet Door
- Incorporates the Ultra-Flex flap which is made up of three rigid panels jointed together by flexible rubber. The flexibility is safe and still insulates and seals even in cold weather. Made of durable Lexan, the flap is "chew-proof".
- Dual Pane Low E glass unit.
- Include two locking catches so you can install them based on your specific sliding glass door locking mechanism.
- Vinyl framing insulates better than conventional metal framing.
- Framing of the VIP fits 1 1/2" to 1 3/4" thick tracks. It will straddle rails up to a maximum thickness of 3/4" wide and 1/4" tall. If your rail is taller than 1/4", you may still use the VIP but you must deduct the additional rail height from your total measured height.
- Two adjustable height ranges are available, P - 76 3/4" - 78 1/2" and S - 92 3/4" - 94 1/2". In addition, you may add a height extension piece (one only for stability) to gain an additional 2" to either of these.
- This is one of the few panels that can mate with an existing sliding door lock. They include two locking catches that you would install on the side of the pet door panel based on your set up. Review the Installation Instructions tab on this page to make sure that your lock will work.
- Available in an "off-white" only.
- There are quite a few details that might be important for you to think about in purchasing any panel pet door. Check out our key points to get a quick overview of the most important issues. Then study the comparison chart and read the information on the Patio Panel FAQ page which cover the fine points of patio pet doors.
Perfect Time for a VIP Pet Door
- Weather resistant pet door fits seamlessly with your vinyl slider or a clean look.
- These flaps are very strong and durable unlike flexible vinyl, so Ideal considers them virtually chew proof.
- Condensation will not form as easily on this vinyl pet door as on aluminum pet doors.
Mounting the Pet Door to the Sliding Door Frame
Remove existing lock catch plate from your sliding door frame as it will interfere with your new pet door.
NOTE: Your new pet door comes with two (top and bottom) Mounting Hangers attached. Please leave these Hangers in place.
Carefully remove "H" Top Section from top of door. Place your pet door in position as shown.
Make sure that the bottom Hanger on door is interlocked with Hanger on frame.
With the pet door in place, mark a pencil line to correspond with the top of the door on the edge of the frame
Remove the pet door panel then measure down 5 1/4" and make a new pencil line, then transfer the line down to the inside of the frame. This new line indicates the bottom edge of the "Top" Hanger. Place the top Hanger in frame and line up the bottom edge with the pencil line
Using the screws provided in Poly Bag #1, attach the hanger to the frame, keeping it centered on frame.
Place two Track Fillers underneath the door. Re-hang the V.I.P. Pet Door. The fit should now be snug to keep the pet door from moving in the track.
Adding the "H" Section Filler
Slide "H" Section onto the top of the door over the springs.
A gap of 1/4" must be left at the sliding door-side area of the filler section to clear the Door Seal Extrusion pieces.
NOTE: Some doors may require adjustment to the "H" section. You may need to cut it to the required length with a hacksaw.
Height adjustments to the "H" section may be made by cutting along the desired groove with a utility knife.
After the "H" Top Section is in place, secure it in the door using two (3/16" x 5/8") screws provided in Poly Bag #2. Place screws well away from glass.
This step is optional but will add structural stability and security.
Q: Does the Ideal VIP 150 have single pane or dual pane glass?
A: The VIP 150 is dual pane, with low e glass, but the Ideal VPP Panel is single pane for the more climates.
Q: What type of flap does the Ideal VIP 150 Patio Dog Door come with?
A: It comes with the Ideal UltraFlex flap. This three part flap is made of very strong polycarbonate blocks with flexible hinges between them. The polycarbonate blocks are hollow so they improve the insulation value, kind of like dual pane glass. There is plastic weather strip around the flap to provide for a good seal.
Q: Can I use my exsting lock of my sliding glass door with this panel?
A: This door can actually mate with an existing sliding door lock. This is specific for vinyl doors, and the VIP will only work if it is semi-permanently installed in a sliding glass door with a track between 1 ½” and 1 ¾” wide.
Q: Besides the material it’s made from what makes vinyl framing different from aluminum?
A: Vinyl framing insulates better than conventional metal framing and you won't get condensation from cold weather. It will also match your existing vinyl sliding glass door, creating a more holistic and professional look.
Q: What are the extension options for the Ideal VIP 150 panels if the height range is just a little too short?
A: The P height adjustment range (76 3/4" - 78 1/2") has an extension option of 78 3/4" - 80 1/2". The S height adjustment range (92 3/4" - 96 1/2") has an extension option available of 94 3/4" - 96 1/2". You are getting about 2" of additional height.
Q: Will this fit my door?
A: A: The panel is specifically for vinyl sliding glass doors that are 1 ½” - 1 ¾” in track width, and will straddle a bottom rail that is ¾” wide and ¼” tall. If your track is taller you can use the panel, but just deduct the additional height from your full track measurement.
Q: How does the VIP 150 install into the sliding door?
A: The VIP 150 installs semi-permanently. The latches for fastening it in place are hidden inside the jamb and there are no visible screws and no visible drilling holes. Since you do have to do a bit of drilling and cutting, if you are not a fairly handy person we would suggest hiring an installer. /p>
Q: Can I take the door out if I need to?
A: Since this sliding pet door panel has to be screwed into the track you can remove it and fill in the holes, but it is not a quick uninstall.
Q: Is there a locking mechanism included on the VIP 150?
A: Yes, this dog door actually has the capability to mate with an existing locking mechanism. You would want to double check the installation instructions that we have on the site to make sure that your lock will work with it.
Q: What replacement flap should I use?
The Ideal VIP uses the Ideal Ultra-Flex (also marketed as "Multi-Flex") replacement flap.
Q: Is changing the flap difficult?
A: Nope, all you need is a screwdriver to remove the frame. You do not need to uninstall the entire pet door
Q: What type of pet door is installed in the VIP?
A: Ideal uses the Ultra-Flex pet door. It is more durable than the Original doors used in the more economical panels. It has 3 lexan sections that pivot on a rod at the top so the doors tend to last longer and are more resistant to chewing.
Q: I don’t need the weather resistance of the VIP, are there alternatives?
A: Ideal makes the VPP panel which is a more economy style door. It has the Ideal Original door and single pane glass.
Q: Is vinyl better than aluminum?
A: If you have a white vinyl door this one will fit nicely as far as aesthetics. Also if you live in cold climates you won’t run the risk of having condensation develop as can happen with aluminum.