Hale Pet Door for Screens - Installation Instructions
- Instructions with drawing
- Hale Pet Door™ Screen Model
- Screen Spline
- 5/8” #6 Phillips Head Screws
- 7/64” drill bit
- Screen spline roller (handy but not necessary)
- Phillips headed screwdriver
- Razor blade
- Flat headed screwdriver
- Needle-nosed pliers (optional)
Installation for Hale Pet Doors for Screens Always wear eye protection and gloves when appropriate. PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION.
The Hale Pet Door “Screen Pet Door” is designed to fit into one of the lower corners of a screen door frame or screen window frame that is ½” thick or less. In screen frames that are ½” thick or less the pet door is completely reversible and will fit into either corner of the screen frame. The purchaser must specify when ordering if their screen frame is thicker than ½” so modifications can be made at the factory to accommodate those frames. Once modifications are made at the factory the pet door is no longer reversible. This means that a “right” or “left” determination must be made at the point of order. This is done from the perspective of a person standing inside the screen and looking outward to determine on which side they wish to install the pet door; “right” or “left”.
Note: The Hale Pet Door™ screen model is not designed to work on security doors. A “door” model is much better choice for a security screen application.
Step 1 Pre-Installation Check
- Before installation, be sure that you have the proper size pet door for your pet.
- Take a brief look at the large diagrams of the screen model at the end of the instructions and become familiar with various components of the screen model. This will not only help in understanding the terms used in these instructions but can be very useful should you need to call for technical support.
Step 2 Prep Screen Door for Installation
- If the pet door has not already been factory modified for a certain position, determine which corner of the screen door is to be used for installing the pet door.
- Remove the screen window or door from its track. The screen door can generally be removed by lifting it upward and swinging the bottom inward. Occasionally the wheels will interfere with removal. In this case, the wheels will need to be lifted upward to clear the track.
- Lay the screen window or screen door on a flat surface with the screen spline facing upward.
Step 3 Remove Screen Spline
- Remove the screen spline (the ribbed rubber around the screen) from the installation corner. Needle-nosed pliers work very well for removing the screen spline or you can also carefully use a screwdriver at the corner to get started. If using a screwdriver, be careful not to cut into the spline or slice into the finish of the door frame
- After you have pulled up the spline, fold the screen material back only at the corner in which you want to install the pet door.
Step 4 POSITION PET DOOR FRAME
- Slide the pet door over the frame at the corner. Make sure the pet door is adjusted properly and operates smoothly while in position. It should be flush against both the bottom and side edges.
Step 5 Drill and Screw Through the Frame
- Drill through the sides and bottom of the inner pet door frame and screen frame with the 7/64” drill provided. Insert the #6 screws with a Phillips screwdriver. Be sure the screws will not interfere with the operation of the screen door.
Step 6 Reapply Screen Material
- Lay the screen material over the pet door. Pull the screen material taut. To hold the screen fabric around the pet door, insert the screen spline with a flat headed screwdriver or screen spline roller.
- When installing the spline in the corner of the pet door unit, it may be necessary to cut a small diagonal split up into the screen material in order to relieve the tension on the screen fabric and allow it to be pulled down into the spline frame track.
Step 7 Cut Away Excess Material
- Cut away any excess screen spline with a razor blade or scissors. Cut away the excess screen material with a razor blade being careful not to cut into the screen spline or the finish of the pet door.
Step 8 Reinstall Screen Door
- Reinstall the screen door or screen window into its original position.
Step 9 Adjust Magnet Placement
- After reinstalling the screen into a vertical position, adjust the magnets in the pet door upward or downward if needed. The magnets are pressure fitted and can be adjusted downward by tapping lightly with the handle of your screwdriver. They can be adjusted upward by twisting a flat headed screwdriver below the magnet between the magnet and frame.
- Your installation is now completed. We hope you and your pet enjoy your HALE PET DOOR™ for years to come.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Press the space key then arrow keys to make a selection.