Pet Door Guys Design | Detailed Information Page | Overview
Installation Tech Notes - The Pet Door Guys System
- Have your Glazier measure for the glass replacement. Total square inch range under 34" w X 76" h is considered standard. Anything over that, and up to a maximum of 46" w X 92" h would be oversized. You will be contacted via email to provide your exact dimensions before the glass door with a dog door built-in unit is made. They need to be precise since the pet door for sliding glass door units are custom dog doors and non-returnable.
- Select glass type. Standard (< 34”w X 76”h) vs oversized (up to 46”w X 92”h).
- Select frame color. In glass pet door frames come in beige and white.
- Select glass LoE options & color. There are three different types of glass to choose, Clear, LoE 270, and LoE 366. In addition to those, there are also two tinting options, Bronze or Gray. The glass comes in ⅝", ¾," ⅞" and 1" thicknesses. Your glazier should be able to tell you exactly what you have. If not, we suggest getting the model and calling your sliding door manufacturer directly. They will also need to choose the unit as installed in the left or right frame and select the corresponding "XO" or "OX" in the menu ("X" designates the moving panel. "O" is fixed as viewed from outside). In general, the pet door will be placed on the sliding door, under the handle. However, if the sliding door is on the outside, the pet door will have to install into the stationary panel. The frame of the pet door will stick out towards the inside of the house, as that is where the tracks for the closing cover are located, so keep that in mind when selecting the side the door will be installed into. Make sure that where you are putting it, the frame will not stick out interfering with the normal operation of the sliding door.
- Pet Opening Size and "step-over". This is a minimum of 3 ¾" plus the height of your existing frame. For instance, if your frame is 2," then the flap will start 5 ¾" from the ground. This can be added onto for very tall dogs in 2" and 4" increments. Be careful if you have small and larger pets sharing, as you don't want to get the step over too high for the smaller ones to get up and over. The ultimate goal is to get the top of the flap up to at least 1" higher than the tallest part of the dog's back when the new sliding door pet door unit is installed, combined with a step over low enough for them to get through comfortably, no jumping through hoops.
- Complete the order via our website.
- You will receive a follow up email requesting more detailed measurements and specifications before the sliding glass door with dog door can be made.
- Production time: Since these are custom sliding glass doors, they take around 3-4 weeks to build, and will have your unit shipped directly to your glass company. You will be emailed with the tracking information so you can let them know when to expect it.
- Installation. Your glass professional will come out with the built-in dog door unit, switch your old glass for the new glass door with a built-in dog door, then put your slider back together.
Pet Door Guys Conversion System Overview
- Designed to replace glass in the sliding door of patio doors. There are some instances where you would need to place the door in the stationary panel. For those, take a look at the placement guide below.
- Trim-line frame built to the same height, width and thickness as the existing glass it replaces to include a quality pet door and new tempered double pane glass pre-installed.
- Measures and installs like a normal insulated glass replacement. Comes fully assembled and is reversible. The old glass can be re-installed if the home is sold or the owner no longer has a pet.
See Pet Doors Placement Guide below for other applications
- Custom built for each application.
- Three fusion welded vinyl frame profiles in white or beige come in ⅝”, ¾”, ⅞”, and 1" sizes
- Ideal for new construction or retro-fit. Dog door for slider will fit most sliding patio doors built in the United States with double pane glass. Single pane wood doors can convert by trimming the stops.
- Small, medium, large and extra large pet door sizes fit most dogs and cats. Custom "step-over" in 2" increments at +2" and +4". The values noted above are added for increased rise needed to accommodate taller pets. See the pet door sizing guide to determine the best combination of "step-over" and pet door opening size for one or more pets.
Quick List of Features
- Almond (Beige)
- Dual pane safety glass
- Optional low-e and tint
- Warm edge spacer
- Four thickness profiles: ⅝", ¾", ⅞” and 1"
- Flap size are Small 6" x 11", Medium 8" x 15", Large 10" x 19", X-Large 12" x 23"
- Security cover with lock
- Increased step-over (rise) option allows pet opening height increase by 2" or 4"
- Durable flap has 15 Year Warranty!
Custom Sized - Built to Order