Pet Door Design Detailed Information Page
Installation Tech Notes - The Pet Door Guys System
- Have your Glazier measure for the glass replacement. The glass comes in ⅝", ¾", ⅞” and 1" thicknesses. Total square inch range under 34”w X 76”h is considered standard. Anything over that, and up to a maximum of 46”w X 92”h would be oversized. You will be prompted to enter your exact dimensions in the drop down menus. They do need to be precise since the unit is custom and non-returnable.
- Select glass type and location. There are 3 different types of glass to choose, Clear, LoE 270, and LoE 366. In addition to those there are also 2 tinting options, Bronze or Gray. Your glazier should be able to tell you exactly what you have. If not we suggest getting the model and calling your sliding door manufacturer directly. They will also need to choose the unit as installing in the left or right frame and select the corresponding "XO" or "OX" in the menu ("X" designates the moving panel. "O" is fixed as viewed from outside). In general the pet door will be placed on the sliding door, under the handle. However, if the sliding door is on the outside the pet door will have to install into the stationary panel. The frame of the pet door will stick out towards the inside of the house, as that is where the tracks for the closing cover are located, so keep that in mind when selecting the side the door will be installed into. Make sure that where you are putting it the frame will not stick out interfering with the normal operation of the sliding door.
- Pet Opening Size and "step-over". This is a minimum of 3-¾” plus the height of your existing frame. For instance if your frame is 2” then the flap will start 5-¾” from the ground. This can be added onto for very tall dogs in 2” and 4” increments. Be careful if you have small and larger pets sharing, as you don’t want to get the step over too high for the smaller ones to get up and over. The ultimate goal is to get the top of the flap up to at least 1” higher than the tallest part of the dogs back when the new glass unit is installed, combined with a step over low enough for them to get through comfortably, no jumping through hoops.
- Select clear glass or glass options (low-'e') and designate the unit as a left or right and circle the corresponding "XO" or "OX" diagram ("X" designates the moving panel. "O" is fixed as viewed from outside). Select frame color.
- Complete the order via our website.
- Lead time: 3-4 weeks, and we will have it shipped direct to your glass company. You will be emailed with the tracking information so you can let them know when to expect it.
- Installation. Your glass professional will come out with the unit, switch your old glass for the new glass with the pet door, then put your slider back together.
Pet Door Guys Conversion System Overview
- Designed to replace glass in the *sliding section of patio doors (pat. pend.). There are some instances where you would need to place the door in the stationary panel; for those, take a look at the placement guide link* below.
- Trim-line frame built to the same height, width and thickness as the existing glass it replaces to include a quality pet door and new tempered double pane glass pre-installed.
- Measures and installs like a normal insulated glass replacement. Comes fully assembled and is reversible. The old glass can be re-installed if the home is sold or the owner no longer has a pet.
* See Pet Door Placement Guide for other applications.
- Custom built for each application.
- Three fusion welded vinyl frame profiles in white or beige come in ⅝”, ¾”, ⅞”, and 1" sizes
- Ideal for new construction or retro-fit. Will fit most sliding patio doors built in the United States with double pane glass. Single pane wood doors can convert by trimming the stops.
- Small, medium, large and extra large pet door sizes fit most dogs and cats. Custom "step-over" in 2" increments at +2" and +4". The values noted above are added for increased rise needed to accommodate taller pets. See the pet door sizing guide to determine the best combination of "step-over" and pet door opening size for one or more pets.
Quick List of Features
- Almond (Beige)
- Dual pane safety glass
- Optional low-e and tint
- Warm edge spacer
- Four thickness profiles: ⅝", ¾", ⅞” and 1"
- Flap size are Small 6" x 11", Medium 8" x 15", Large 10" x 19", X-Large 12" x 23"
- Security cover with lock
- Increased step-over (rise) option allows pet opening height increase by 2" or 4"
- Durable flap has 15 Year Warranty!
Custom Sized - Built to Order