Plexidor Cat Doors for Doors
There's no need to settle when it comes to your convenience, and your cat's comfort. The Plexidor Cat Door is a high quality, self-framing cat door designed to be installed in hollow or solid core doors (0 to a maximum thickness of 1 3/4").
The flap, mounted on springs, opens from the side much like a regular door. The clear, rigid acrylic flap is relatively easy to push, and because it's hollow tends perform better insulation wise. They are also surrounded by a fuzzy nylon weather stripping to top it off. This makes the Plexidor easier for your cat to use, while not sacrificing your energy bills.
A built in 4-way locking device allows you to control access for your cat, and eliminates the need for a separate locking cover.
PlexiDor Cat door for wall instructions:
1. Place the template on the wall so that the top of the cut out line is at least 1” above the tallest part of your cat’s back. Also you would want to make sure that the bottom of the rough cut out opening is 3” - 4” from the bottom of the floor.
Tip: Make sure that you will not be cutting into any wall framing, electrical, pipes, etc. when picking a location for the pet door.
Tip: If the height of the floor inside is not level with the outside you may need to use ramps or stairs to help your cat negotiate the step over. You can test the step over before doing any cutting into the wall by making a hole in cardboard to simulate the opening you will have in the wall. Then call your kitty through to make sure they are comfortable with the size.
2. Make the rough cut out in the interior wall first to the dimensions below.
Cutting the hole can be more complicated with this door as the outer opening is slightly larger than than interior one. For the small cat door the Inside cut out should be 8-⅜” wide by 9” high (use the template provided as a guide).
3. Make the rough cut out in the exterior wall. The top of the rough opening should be level with the top of the interior cut out, as the tunnel slopes out to prevent water from collecting.
Tip: Cover the hole in the inside of the house by taping up some plastic sheeting. This way you won’t have the mess from the debris all over the inside of the home and it makes for much easier cleaning. The cut out on the Outside of the house should be 8-⅜” wide by 10-⅛” high.
4. Fit the inside frame on the wall and secure it with the 4 screws.
5. Next temporarily install the outside frame and hold it in place with tape. Or if you prefer you can use 2 flat head screws, and put them through trim piece on the inside edge. This will allow you to more accurately measure the tunnels for cutting.
6. Now you will hold just the top and bottom tunnel pieces in place (one will rest on the small notch that runs along the top of the back side of the flap frame and the bottom of the pet door will rest inside the other tunnel piece) and mark with a pen where the edge sticks through the outside frame.
7. Remove the tunnel pieces and use the jigsaw provided to trim them ⅛” short of the marks that you made with the pen.
8. Make sure that you take a file or sandpaper and smooth out the edges you trimmed after cutting.
9. Now screw them in place with the 4 flat head screws. Two will go through the top tunnel piece in the middle of the tunnel and two will go through the bottom tunnel piece in the middle.
10. Next put in the side pieces of the tunnel, and just like the top and bottom make a mark and trim ⅛” shorter than than mark. (Now if you choose to temporarily screw in the tunnel pieces instead of tape them in step 5 you need to remove those screws).
11. Take 2 stainless steel pan head screws and screw them into each sheet. So there will be two in the top and bottom, evenly spaced from the outer edge. And two in each side, evenly spaced from the top and bottom going through sides. If the tunnel is longer you can add additional screws towards the center. For the screws going through the bottom of the tunnel make sure that you put some clear silicone in the screw holes before installing the screws. This will help to seal everything properly.
Tip: Install the edge you cut inside and factory edge towards the outside. This will give the install a cleaner look.
12. Apply clear silicone between the tunnel and outside frame.