Whiskers & Windows Cat Door for Horizontal Sliding Windows - Installation Instructions
- 1 Panel Pet Door
Please read instructions & notes thoroughly before installation.
Step 1 Release Spring Mechanism
- Release the height adjustment locks by loosening the screws with a screwdriver.
Step 2 Insert Into Window Track
- Open the sliding window and insert the cat door panel with the knobs facing inside. Place the top edge into the top track of the window.
- Lift up and swing the lower portion of the panel into the bottom track.
- Slide the pet door panel against the window jamb. Make sure that the top is fully extended (not tilted to one side) and the bottom of the panel is on the ridge (pencil rail) in the bottom track.
Step 3 Secure the Panel
- Tighten the height adjustment locks with a screwdriver.
Whiskers & Windows Pet Door Details
Locking the Flap
- To change the 4-Way Lock setting, ensure that the flap is in the vertical resting position, and gently move the tabs left or right as desired. The tabs should move freely without requiring excessive force.
- Locked: Both tabs on the outside.
- Out-only: Both tabs to the right.
- In-only: Both tabs to the left.
- Unlocked: Both tabs in the center.
What if there is a gap between the panel and my window?
- Due to the fact that there are many types of windows, you may need to modify your installation using shims or similar materials such as foam weather stripping.
- If there is a gap, you can use the shims to even out the pet door.
Locking the Panel
- A great way to lock your sliding window is a Charley bar or dowel in the track.
- Both work off the same concept—they block the slider from opening. When engaged you cannot pull the sliding door away from the pet door panel.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What if my panel is slightly too tall?
You can trim up to 3/4” off the spring- loaded adjustment piece at the top. This can be done by removing the adjustment pieces with a #2 Phillips head screwdriver and cutting down the flanges. Be careful not to cut too low or you will not be able to put the top back on.
The dark area marks where you can trim:
What if my panel is slightly too short?
We offer height extensions that will add 3/4” to the top of the panel that you slide into the channel at the top. These are made from the same aluminum as the panel so you can match the color.
You can also make your own extension out of nominal 1” wood (which is 3/4” thick), such as a 1x3, if you need more than %" in height. Cut it to the same width as the panel and slide it into the channel at the top. Paint the wood to match your frame color. If the extension makes the panel feel unstable, you can secure it with screws.