Five Ways Dogs Improve Your Health
It’s no secret that dogs bring so much love and joy to their families. But can adopting a new pet also improve your health? The answer is yes! Here are five ways having a pet can improve your overall health:
- Reduced Stress Levels: Research has proven that petting a dog lowers the stress hormone cortisol and interacting with your dog increases levels of the feel-good hormone oxytocin.
- Lower Blood Pressure: The reduction of cortisol and increase of oxytocin also lowers blood pressure. Looks like petting your dog really is making you healthier!
- Increased Physical Activity: Dogs can’t take themselves on walks, which means they keep their people up and moving with at least two walks per day.
- Improved Heart Health: Owning a dog can help prevent cardiovascular disease. The increased physical activity and lower stress levels associated with dog ownership keep your heart healthy.
- Mental Health Benefits: Dogs are great companions and their company can benefit your mental health significantly. The companionship dogs provide can improve symptoms of anxiety, depression, and loneliness.
And this doesn't just apply to dogs! Pets of all kinds can improve our physical and emotional health. Most types of pets can become support animals for this very reason.