Pre-Installed Pet DoorsClick to View FAQs
Purchasing a door with built in dog door may seem easier than installing a pet door into an existing door, but we would not recommend purchasing an exterior door with built in pet door for the following reasons.
Why You Should Buy Your Pet Door and People Door Separately:
- Shipping in separate parts is cheaper than shipping an entire door
- Less chance of damage while shipping
- More options of people doors when searching locally
- Hanging a door is not easy; you'll probably want it done by a professional. So you've already got the installer at your house. Installing the pet door in the door you've chosen won't cost much more.
- Fixing problems if you order an exterior door with pet door online will be more troublesome than locally
- It's very important, especially for larger dog doors, that the dog door be installed at the correct height. Or you may need an installation height that is a compromise for two different sized pets. Getting that done right is a lot easier when you're supervising the installer directly.
- If you need to return the door for any reason, it's much easier to do locally
Getting a storm door with doggie door might be a good alternative, as these doors attach to the outside of your existing door. If something does go wrong, at least you won't be without a door. A storm door instead of buying a standard exterior door with built in pet door also protects your original door from any cuts, and may be useful as a form of security when you are on vacation. If you no longer have need for your pet's door, you can always remove storm doors.