All Weather Pet Door
The Ideal Ruff Weather Dog Door (aka Perfect Pet All Weather Pet Doors) is self-framing for doors from 3/4" up to 1 3/4" thick. It includes an all weather injection molded structural foam adjustable frame, weather seal gasket and nylon window pile for added insulation.
Many who have purchased this door say that it's easy to install, and even easier to get your pet to use it. With minimal interference, installation and first use can take place within 45 - 50 minutes.
There are two flaps: one on each side for better insulation and wind resistance value. There is also one locking cover. The magnet bar at the bottom 'floats' up to the bottom of the flap for a better seal at the bottom of the flap.
This pet door is available in four sizes and will accommodate small pets to very large dogs. When installed, it will protrude about 3" from the face of the door on both sides.
A special wall kit is available to allow 'self-framing' in a 2x4 or 2x6 stud wall.
A version of the Ruff Weather called the Protector Series (found in this section or in 'Petsafe' under the 'Manufacturers' menu) adds an alarm to the original Ruff Weather. This alarm sounds whenever the locking cover is unintentionally removed, which is good for additional peace of mind.
Replacement flaps and wall kits are exactly the same for the Protector Series as for the Ruff Weather.
Limited lifetime warranty.
PLEASE NOTE: This product ships directly from the manufacturer and may take 1-3 business days before it actually ships.
IDEAL "Ruff Weather" or "Protector Series"Dog Door
Detailed Installation Instructions
Tools Required for Installation
Hammer and Awl (or Nail) . Drill and 3/8" Drill Bit . Saber Saw . Phillips Screwdriver
1. DETERMINE TEMPLATE PLACEMENT
- The die-cut template is located in the center of pet door. Remove screws holding the frame together; lift out template. Center template (width) in middle of door; tape in place. Position the top of the template 2" taller than your pet's shoulder. Important: Under no circumstances should the bottom edge of the rough opening be less than 3" from the bottom edge of the wood door.
2. OUTLINE PET DOOR OPENING
- With template taped in place, use a pencil to draw around the inside edge of template onto door. Use a nail or awl to mark inside edge corner holes (as indicated) and outer hardware holes.
3. DRILLING HOLES
- Drill four 3/8" diameter inside edge corner holes. Next: Drill the eight 3/8" diameter outer door hardware holes.
4. CUTTING THE OPENING
- Begin with one of the inside edge corner holes. Next: Using a saber saw, cut along inside edge pencil line.
5. ASSEMBLY AND ADJUSTMENTS SEE DIAGRAM)
- Insert outer frame (A) into opening from exterior side (frame must be flush with door surface). Place inner frame (B) into opening from inside door and hold in place. Install screws (C) and tighten until snug. Do not over-tighten.
6. LOCKING YOUR PET DOOR USING THE SHURELOCK TM SYSTEM.
Slide cover into guide channels located on both sides of pet door opening. Lock inside slide (D) with Shurelock TM red tab located on door's upper left side.