Screen Pet Door Conversion Kit - Installation Instructions
Time Required 0.5 hours
- 2 Screen Magnets
- 2 Frame Magnets
- 1 Roll of Protective Tape
- A Sharp Blade
- Painter’s Tape
- A Pencil
- A Screwdriver (optional)
Please read instructions & notes thoroughly before installation.
Step 1 Prep Your Door
- Remove your screen door from its hinges or track and place it on a flat, clean spot.
Step 2 Measure Your Pet
- Measure your pet’s height from the floor to the tallest portion of their shoulders (their haunches).
- Apply painter’s tape to the outside face of your screen door’s frame so that you have an easy surface to write on.
- Make two marks on your screen door frame. Mark #1 should be 4” above your pet’s height. Mark #2 should be 5” above your pet’s height.
Step 3 Attach the Screen Magnets
- Turn the screen so that the outside face is up.
- Remove the double sided tape liner on the screen magnets. Attach the screen magnets, one for each of the two bottom corners of the screen.
Step 4 Apply Bottom Layer of Tape
- Measure out a piece of protective tape to fit on the bottom edge of the screen, overlapping the lips of the screen magnets. Cut it with sharp scissors and remove the liner. Carefully apply with only light pressure until you’re confident in it’s placement.
Step 5 Apply Tape to Sides of Screen
- Apply another strip of tape along the right side of the door, starting on the upper lip of the screen magnet to Mark #2. Use the same application technique here that you used in Step 4.
- Repeat on the left side of the screen.
Step 6 Tape Opposite Side of Screen
- Flip your screen door over so that you are looking at the underside of the tape.
- Apply tape over the backside of the bottom edge and sides, being careful not to overlap or touch the frame. Make sure that this layer is aligned as close as possible to the first layer.
Step 7 Remove Screen Mesh From Door Frame
- Starting from Mark #1 on one side, cut through the screen with a sharp blade. Go along the entire edge of the tape until the screen mesh is cut from the door frame.
Step 8 Reinforce Screen Flap
- Apply a patch of tape horizontally over the top split of the screen, connecting the tape to the screen frame. The patch should overlap the side tape and extend halfway onto your frame. Do this for both sides of the screen.
- Flip the door over and repeat.
Step 9 Reinstall Screen Door
- Install the screen door back into the doorway.
Step 10 Attach the Frame Magnets
- Remove the liner on the tape for the frame magnets. Allow the frame magnets to attach to the screen magnets face to face.
- With the flap hanging, apply a small amount of tension and attach the sticky side of the frame magnets there so that the two magnet faces connect when the flap closes.