- Steel dog door locking cover with lock combination
- Provides peace of mind at night and when away from home
- Keeps out intruders
- Available in 3 sizes to fit a wide range of pet door brands and models
- Installs on doors and walls
Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover
Worried about the security of your pet door? Haven't gotten one due to the risk of intruders? Having a secure dog door is something to consider when investing in a pet door. Watchdog eases these doubts with their steel security dog door cover. Designed with 12 gauge steel and a combination lock with 10,000 code options, your pet door will no longer be an easy point of entry for intruders. This durable dog door security cover is a great investment ensuring that pet owners have peace of mind with their newly improved high-security dog doors.
- Use the size chart to determine if your brand and size of pet door correspond with the dog door security barrier. Most pet doors purchased in the US are compatible.
- Choose the side from which the security door will open.
- Left: hinges on the left side of the door
- Right: hinges on the right side of the door
- Select whether you are installing this in a wall or a door, as the provided bolting hardware varies for each application.
- Mounting the security door on the exterior side of the pet door is recommended for walls and steel doors, avoiding any clearance issues. Because exterior walls are made out of more durable material, it improves the overall safety of your pet door.
- Installs on either side for hollow core doors.
- When unlocked, the door removes from the hinges to allow unrestricted access for your pets. When closed, the hinges lock into place on the steel frame.
- Combination lock is set by you. Make sure to choose a combo you will remember!
- Comes in white: finished in a durable, powder coating.
- Gives peace of mind at night, on vacation, or any time you are away from home
- Especially helpful if you have a very large dog door
- Keeps intruders out
- Prevents break-ins
- Locking combo is easy to set and use
- Sturdy and reliable
|Watchdog Security Locking Cover Fitting Chart|
|Manufacturer||Flap Size||Flap Dimension||Outside Frame Dimension|
|Listed below are the various pet door manufacturers that the Watchdog Security Pet Door Cover will accommodate. Please see below to find out if your pet door fits within our current sizes.|
|"Large" Flap Size - Interior Flap of 11 X 17 1/2 with an Exterior Frame of 15 1/2 X 21 1/2 and 5/8" Depth|
|Ideal "Original"||Extra Large||10-1/2" X 15"||12-1/2" X 18"|
|Ideal "Original"||Large||9" X 15"||10-1/2" X 18-1/8"|
|Ideal "Draft-Stopper"||Medium||6-5/8" X 11-1/4"||8-1/2" X 13-1/4"|
|Ideal "Draft-Stopper"||Extra Large||10-1/4" X 15-3/4"||12-1/4" X 17-1/8"|
|Ideal "Deluxe Aluminum"||Extra Large||10-1/2" X 15"||11-3/4" X 17-1/2"|
|Ideal "Ultra Flex"||Medium||6-5/8" X 11-1/4"||8-5/8" X 13-5/8"|
|Ideal "Ultra Flex"||Extra Large||10-1/4" X 15-3/4"||12-1/4" X 17-3/8"|
|Endura Flap||Medium||8" X 15"||11-1/2" X 20"|
|PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum||Medium||9-5/8" X 14-3/8"||12-3/4" X 17-1/2"|
|PetSafe Wall Entry Aluminum||Large||11-7/16" X 18-1/16"||14-3/4" X 21-1/2"|
|PetSafe Freedom||Large||10-15/16" X 17-5/8"||12-3/4" X 19-5/8"|
|PetSafe Plastic & Extreme||Large||15-1/8" X 26-13/16"||12-5/8" X 20"|
|PetSafe Classic||Large||10" X 15"||12-3/4" X 18-3/4"|
|PetSafe Quick Fit||Medium||8" X 11"||12-1/8" X 17-1/2"|
|PetSafe Ultimate||Large||10-3/8" X 15-3/4"||15-1/2" X 21"|
|Pet-Corp||Large||11" X 16-3/8"||14-1/4" X 20-3/8"|
|Hale||Medium||8-1/2" X 12-1/2"||11-9/16" X 15-3/8"|
|Hale||Tall Medium||8-1/2" X 16"||11-9/16" X 19-1/16"|
|Hale||Large||11" X 16"||14-1/16" X 19-1/16"|
|"XLarge" Flap Size - Interior Flap of 12 X 24 with an Exterior Frame of 16 1/2 X 28 and 5/8" Depth|
|Endura Flap||Large||10"X 19"||13-9/16" X 24"|
|Pride||Large||11-1/2" X 17"||15-1/2" X 19-3/4"|
|Hale||Tall Large||11" X 19-1/2"||14-1/16" X 22-9/16"|
|Hale||Tall Large +||11" X 23-1/2"||14-1/16" X 26-9/16"|
|PetSafe Quick Fit||Large||10-1/2" X 14-1/2"||15-3/4" X 23-1/4"|
|"XXLarge" Flap Size - Interior Flap of 16 X 26 with an Exterior Frame of 20 1/2 X 30 and 5/8" Depth|
|Endura Flap||Extra Large||12" X 23"||15-5/8" X 28"|
|PetSafe Freedom||Extra Large||14-7/16" X 25-1/8"||16-3/8" X 27-1/4"|
|PetSafe Plastic & Extreme||Extra Large||15-1/8" X 26-13/16"||16-1/8" X 27-1/2"|
|PetSafe Ultimate||Extra Large||13" X 18-3/4"||18-3/4" X 23-3/8"|
|PetSafe Classic||Extra Large||13-3/8" X 23"||16-1/4" X 27-1/4"|
|Pride||Extra Large||14-1/2" X 19-1/2"||18-3/4" X 22-3/4"|
|Ideal Original||Super Large||15" X 20"||18" X 24"|
|Plexidor||Large||11-3/4" X 16"||16-1/2" X 19-1/4"|
|Pet-Corp||Extra Large||14-1/8" X 23-5/8"||17-1/2" X 27-1/2"|
|Hale||Extra Large||14" X 19-1/2"||17-1/16" X 22-9/16"|
|Hale||Extra Large +||14" X 23-1/2"||17-1/6" X 26-9/16"|
Can I use the watchdog dog door just a pet door?
We recommend using this steel home security door cover in addition to a pet door, for its intended purpose. If you were to use this as a pet door, the door would have to be open all the time to allow your pet access. Thereby permitting the outside air, critters, or burglars to enter your home.
For the opening direction, is that when I am looking at the door from the inside or outside?
When you select your optimal opening direction, this is referring to where the hinges are when you are outside looking at the pet door installation. 'Left' means the hinges are on your left when you are outside.
Is the guard supposed to go on the inside of the house or outside?
The manufacturer actually suggests it be bolted to the outside of your door or wall installation. The bolts cannot be removed from the outside, and a potential intruder would be confronted with a barrier immediately. However, although it is not ideal locking covers can be mounted on the inside if there is no room on the exterior.
How big is this frame going to be?
This cover will go over your existing pet door frame. It will be bolted to your wall/door. The cover's frame will depend on how large your dog door is, so be sure you have extra room on all sides of the frame.
I have an uneven surface, will this work?
You may have to do some caulking or recessing in order to get the screws installed securely in order for this to work properly. We would suggest contacting a contractor to do this.
Are there really no other color options available?
Unfortunately, this item only comes in white. However, the polished finish makes it easy to paint over in order to fit your home's aesthetic.
Can I automatically lock this at a certain time?
No, this cover locks manually. When you go out of town or need to lock it in the night, you would need to go outside and do so.
Can I reset the combination lock any time?
Yes! You will need your existing code in order to set a new code. There is no other way to unlock your steel cover if you forget the code. Keep it written down, in a safe place.
Is there a WatchDog pet door that goes better with this?
There are not doors that are better to use with this cover. This steel guard actually accommodates more than one brand of door models, so it would perform the same on the doors listed in the size chart.
I ordered this cover and a door, but received only one item. Where is the rest of my order?
This cover will ship separately, in a different box than a pet door you purchase with it, if you do order additional items. This is because this item is in a different warehouse. You will install the security cover over the front of the pet door once it arrives.
It looks like this is just for dog doors?
You can use this as a cat door (or small dog door) cover as well, it just might be quite a bit larger than necessary. Most customers don't use them for cat doors though because the door is too small for any person to actually fit through (in issue with pet doors for larger dogs). However, this will work for both cats and dogs.
I read about Wall dog door that locked, do you have any?
You are probably thinking of electronic doors, which have security features like locking mechanisms that only let your pet in and out. Depending on the manufacturer some are designed only to keep the dog inside others are more secure. To achieve similar security as an electronic pet door (and wind break/weather resistance) with your wall or door mount pet door, we recommend the Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover.
How does the secure doggie door work with the pet door?
It fits over the frame of the pet door and is securely screwed in the door or wall. You need to choose a Watchdog that is larger than the outside frame dimension of your pet door.
What prevents someone from unscrewing this dog door security cover?
It is installed with bolts that can't be removed from the outside.
Can this be used on patio pet doors to make it a more secure dog door?
No, these are specifically meant to be used on doors or walls.
What is the best way to have secure dog doors?
The best doggy door security option is the Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover. It is a separate locking cover with a combination lock.
I travel frequently and no one is at my home, what can I do to improve my dog door security?
The Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover is the best option. As the name implies it is made of steel and has a combination lock that you set to deter anything from getting in.
I need a doggy door cover for a secure door, do you have one?
Yes, the Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover is the most secure way to lock your pet door.
I want an actual pet door locking mechanism for a secure door for my dog, do you have any options?
Yes, you can install a separate Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover. It fits over your existing door, is made of steel and has a combination lock.
Will the addition of the Watchdog make my dog door the most secure doggie door?
Yes. It is a steel frame and door secured by a combination lock that you set the code. It works for any door or wall model pet door.
If I'm not ok with the security dog doors cover I have for my big dog, what can I do?
You can secure dog doors for large dogs with a Watchdog Steel Security Pet Door Cover.
Watchdog Security Locking Cover Video
Manufacturer Equipment Warranty -
This warranty covers any failure of the equipment due to defective material or workmanship. This warranty is provided by the equipment manufacturer and is void if the equipment has been used for purposes other than its intended purpose, abused, or damaged due to improper handling or installation.
Installation in a Door:
1. Take the WatchDog Security Cover off the frame of the pet door. This will make measuring and installing it easier.
2. With a pencil, draw a line on the top of the WatchDog Security Cover on the centerline
3. Draw a line of the centerline of your existing pet door. You will line this centerline with the centerline mark you previously made on the WatchDog Security Cover.
4. Draw a line at the center of the side of the WatchDog Security Cover
5. Draw a line at the center of the side of your existing pet door.
6. Match all the marks made on the WatchDog Security Cover and your existing pet door.
7. Check if your existing pet door is level by using a level. If the pet door is level, you can use it to level your WatchDog Security Cover. If your pet door is not level, you may need to adjust it so that the door openings line up to each other.
8. Place your WatchDog Security Cover above the existing pet door. Be sure that the centreline markings made previously on the WatchDog Security Cover and the pet door line up with each other. These markings will be used again later.
9. Use the pet door to slide the WatchDog Security Cover up to the side of the pet door and move it up until the lines you have made on the side and in the middle of each door line up. Make new marks on the door to line everything up.
10. Use the marks you previously made, square up the pet door. Then, use the pencil to mark the screw hole on the top corner of your WatchDog Security Cover
11. Remove the door and drill the correct size hole where marked. The size of the hole will depend on application of fasteners
12. Install the tamper resistant screw with the included bit. DO NOT TIGHTEN THE HOLES until all screws are in place.
13. Level the door and repeat steps #9, #10, #11 mark, drill, and temporarily install upper corners with the tamper resistant screws.
14. Now mark both bottom holes, remove door, and drill the bottom two holes.
15. Place the door back in and place the screws in the screw holes, loosely tightening them
16. Firmly tighten the screw hardware (apply thread-lock adhesive) to complete the installation
Using the Combi-Bolt: Changing your combination
From the factory, the code is set to 0-0-0.
Determine your new code before changing the combination and write it down somewhere.*
Step 1: Switch the slider next to the dials from the circle to the triangle, or from down to up.
Step 2: Enter your new combination. Write it down!
Step 3: Switch the slider back to its original down position. It is now set to your new combination.
The slider does not need to be open or closed to change the combination.
*Do not forget the code as there is no way to reset the locking code without the current code. We recommend writing down the code and storing it in a safe place.