Interesting Facts About Cats and Dogs
In the time that you’ve cared for your pet, you’ve probably learned a good amount of new and interesting fun facts. Everyday experiences with your furry friend can teach you a thing or two about their unique quirks and abilities as every pet has their own personality. Here is a list of some interesting animal facts that you can use as trivia on your next pet play date. Some may shock you, while others might help you to improve as a pet owner. Have a look at these pet facts for yourself!
- A puppy is born blind, deaf, and toothless.
- Dogs have three eyelids, the third of which (the haw) is used to keep eyes protected and lubricated.
- Dalmatians are born all white with no spots.
- The Basenji is the only dog without a bark.
- All dogs have a common ancestor with a weasel-like animal called the Miacis, which can be traced 40-million years.
According to a survey by Kloof, a few of the best dog breeds for men to attract a date are the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever, and the Siberian Husky. For women, breeds include the Beagle, the Poodle, and the Chihuahua.
- Kublai Khan, fifth Khagan of the Mongol Empire, is noted to have owned the most dogs as one person. Khan had 5,000 Mastiffs. Imagine taking care of that many pups!
- A dog can hear sounds four times farther away than humans can.
- On average, dogs can run at a speed of about 19mph. Greyhounds more than double this, maxing out at speed of up to 45pmh.
- The largest dog ever recorded is an English Mastiff named Zorba, weighing in at 343 pounds. He measured 8’ 3” from his nose to his tail.
- The smallest dog ever recorded was a Yorkshire Terrier that weighed in at only 4 ounces. The dog was 3.5” from nose to tail.
- It is estimated that there are 400 million dogs in the world at present.
- Dogs can be identified by their nose print, which is as unique as a human fingerprint.
Cats can make over 100 unique vocalizations and sounds, while dogs are only capable of making about 10.
- A cat can leap over five times its own height. That’s quite a pounce!
- Ever wonder why cats don’t like water? Their fur fails to insulate when it is wet, meaning that their body temperature drops to the point of discomfort.
- The most expensive cat of all time, Little Nicky, costs his owner $50,000. The cat was a clone of a much older feline.
Why is your cat making that silly face? Your cat's smelling with mouth open wide! This is because cats have a special organ in their mouth that heightens smell when air passes into it!
- Isaac Newton invented the first ever cat flap. While experimenting in a dark room, Newton’s cat repeatedly entered, and ruined his testing. As a resolution, the cat door was created.
- House cats are North America’s most popular pets. With 3% of households owning a cat, there are 73 million estimated today, while there are 63 million dogs.
- Cats mark their territory by secreting a scent from special glands located around its face, tail area, and paws.
These are only a few of the absolute best things about dogs and cats. What can you share from your knowledge or experience with your pet? Let us know!