Storm Doors with Dog Doors: A Perfect Solution for Your Pet's Safety and Comfort
Most pet owners want their dogs to experience the simple joys of life: exploring the backyard, playing with fellow dogs, or digging up bones. However, in order to experience these things, your pet needs to be able to move in and out of the house whenever they please.
Pet doors are the go-to solution for giving your pets more freedom. Many pet owners feel like they can’t invest in one when they have a storm door installed in their doorway.
However, a pet door can be installed directly into your storm door to best ensure both your home's security and your pet's comfort.
The Necessity of a Pet Door
Every pet owner knows the hassle of having to get up in the middle of the night or during a riveting TV show just to let their pet out. As common as this problem is, the best solution is still the most common one: install a pet door.
But while pet doors grant our furry friends the freedom they desire, not every home setup or door type readily accommodates their installation. After all, not everyone wants to install a pet door into their door or add a pet door installation to their wall.
This is where storm doors come into the picture.
Storm Doors: Your Pet’s Gateway to Freedom
Storm doors are additional doors installed on top of your primary door. They not only offer extra protection against harsh weather conditions like snow and hail but also allow for better ventilation during warmer months.
If the idea of making a permanent alteration to your main door is unsettling, storm doors with a pet doors built into them present an impeccable solution. These specialized doors allow your pet unhindered access to the outdoors without compromising your home's aesthetic or security.
Plus, if you ever need to block off your pet flap, all you have to do is keep your main door closed. This makes a storm door pet door ideal for those living in colder climates who don’t want their dog to run amok in the snowy months.
Choosing the Right Pet Door
There are myriad pet door options on the market, and choosing the right one can be daunting. Key considerations include:
- Size & Fit: Before purchasing, measure your pet's height from their feet to shoulders, and their width. This ensures they can comfortably pass through without getting stuck. Check out our measurement guide for more details.
- Durability: The pet door should withstand the elements and frequent use.
- Locking Mechanism: Some pet doors offer a locking feature, which can be beneficial when you want to restrict your pet's outdoor access without closing your main door.
Top Storm Door Pet Door Choices
- Endura Flap Pet Door: Renowned for its superior engineering, it provides remarkable protection against extreme weather. The energy-efficient design ensures minimal heat or cold transfer, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.
- PetSafe Freedom: This economical option is great for those on a budget. The lightweight flap makes it suitable for older or smaller dogs.
- Cat Mate 235 Pet Door: Ideal for smaller pets, this affordable option includes a locking flap feature to control pet movement.
DIY Installation or Professional Assistance?
Because storm doors are made of metal, it can be difficult to install a pet door into them without professional help. But while it can be hard, it is not impossible.
The choice between tackling the installation of a pet door yourself or hiring a professional often depends on the type of door, the complexity of the installation process, and your own comfort level with DIY projects.
Advantages of DIY Installation:
- Cost-Effective: Handling the installation yourself can save you the cost of professional labor. This might be especially appealing if you're working with a tight budget.
- Personal Satisfaction: There's a unique sense of accomplishment in completing a home improvement task on your own. Successfully installing your pet door can be a rewarding experience.
- Flexibility: Doing it yourself means you can choose the most convenient time to work on the project, without having to schedule and wait for a professional.
Steps for DIY Installation:
- Gather Necessary Tools: Before beginning, ensure you have all the essential tools. This might include a tape measure, pencil, drill, jigsaw, screwdriver, and safety equipment like gloves and goggles.
- Measure Twice: Use your pet's height and width to determine the optimal size and placement of the pet door. Ensure there's a little extra space for easy passage.
- Mark and Cut: Outline the dimensions of the pet door on your storm door using a pencil. Using a drill to create starting points, cut out the marked area with a jigsaw.
- Fit and Secure: Once the hole is ready, fit the pet door into the space and secure it using screws. Ensure it opens and closes smoothly.
You can learn more about installing a pet door into a metal door with our DIY installation guide.
Advantages of Professional Assistance:
- Expertise: Professionals bring experience and knowledge to the task. They're equipped to handle unexpected challenges that might arise during installation.
- Time-Saving: A trained professional can typically complete the installation faster than a DIY novice. This is especially handy if you're short on time.
- Warranty Protection: Some pet doors come with warranties that might become void if not installed by a certified professional. Hiring an expert can ensure your warranty remains intact.
When to Consider Professional Assistance:
- Lack Of Expertise: If you are not used to doing your own DIY project, much less cutting into metal, then this may not be the project to teach yourself with.
- Unfamiliar Materials: If your storm door is made of a material you're unfamiliar with, such as certain metals or tempered glass, a professional might be better equipped to handle the installation.
- Structural Concerns: If you have concerns about the structural integrity of your door after installing a pet door, consulting with a professional can provide peace of mind.
Whether you choose to go the DIY route or hire a professional, the most important thing is to ensure the pet door is securely and correctly installed. After all, it's about providing your pet with safe and easy access to the great outdoors.
If you ever doubt your abilities or the safety of the installation, it's always better to consult with a professional.
Pets bring unparalleled joy into our lives. Offering them the freedom to move in and out of our homes safely and comfortably is a small way to repay the happiness they give us. Storm doors with dog doors encapsulate this idea perfectly, merging functionality with our pets' well-being.
So, as the seasons change and the desire for outdoor activities intensifies, consider investing in one. Your pet's delighted barks and purrs of satisfaction will make it all worthwhile.