Budget-Friendly Picks: Top Dog Kennel Doors Under $500, Tested and Reviewed
The right dog kennel door is paramount for any pet owner or shelter looking to provide the best for their pets. A good pet door affects not only the safety and security of our pets, but also their long-term comfort and well-being.
Factors like durability, size, and weather proofing play crucial roles in ensuring your dogs can move freely and safely through the kennel door. However, it can be challenging to balance those factors with your budget.
That’s why we’ve compiled a list of affordable kennel options that do not compromise on quality. We offer a comprehensive look at the best kennel doors available for under $500 that deliver on safety, durability, and all-weather suitability
Factors To Consider Before Buying a Kennel Door For Your Dog
Size and Breed Compatibility:
The first step in selecting the right kennel door is ensuring it fits your dog's size and is appropriate for their breed. You need to measure your dog's height and width to determine the door size needed. You can learn how by following our measuring guide.
Using accurate measurements is crucial for your pet's comfort and safety, as a door too small can cause injury, while one too large might not provide the security needed.
You should also consider the breed's characteristics, like their tendency to grow or their physical agility. Installing your kennel pet door lower to the ground will ensure that your dog can continue using it even as their mobility decreases with age.
Kennel doors are made from a variety of materials, each with its own set of advantages and drawbacks.
Plastic frame dog doors, for instance, are lightweight and often more affordable but may not withstand heavy usage or extreme temperatures. Aluminum frame dog doors, on the other hand, offer durability and strength, yet they might be more costly.
Assess your pet's behavior and the typical wear and tear they might inflict on the door to decide on the best material.
The safety of your pet and home should be a top priority. Look for doors with robust security features like sturdy locks or electronic keys. These elements prevent unwanted entry and ensure that your pet stays safe inside. Some advanced models might also offer customized access settings, enhancing security and convenience.
However, electronic pet doors cost more on average than traditional pet doors.
Weatherproofing is vital, especially in areas prone to extreme weather conditions. Your pet door should be able to withstand elements like rain, wind, and temperature fluctuations to ensure your pet's comfort and the door's longevity.
Look for features like energy-efficient flaps and weather seals that help maintain the kennel's internal environment.
Ease of Installation:
Consider whether the kennel door requires professional installation or if it's a do-it-yourself friendly model.
Some doors come with detailed guides and can be easily fitted into existing spaces, while others might need specialized tools or expertise. Knowing this beforehand can save time and additional costs.
If you need assistance installing your pet door, you can check out our registry of independent installers.
Warranty and Support:
Finally, the presence of a warranty and reliable customer support is crucial.
A warranty provides peace of mind, ensuring that any defects or issues can be addressed without incurring extra costs. Effective customer support is also essential for resolving any queries or problems that may arise during installation or use. These aspects are indicative of the manufacturer's confidence in their product and their commitment to customer satisfaction.
Our Top Picks for Budget-Friendly Kennel Dog Doors
Our top picks for kennel dog doors were picked based on their size ranges, durability, weather resistance, ease of installation, and warranty policies.
Magnador Dog Doors for Doors & Kennels
The Magnador Dog Doors offer a practical and cost-effective solution for pet owners looking for reliable pet access in various settings such as doors, kennels, and more. With options suitable for both dogs and cats, these doors are available in small, medium, and large sizes, catering to a broad range of pet sizes. The design features a chew-resistant, rigid polypropylene flap and a simple 2-way locking system, enhancing both durability and security.
- Sizes Available: Small, Medium, Large
- Materials: Chew-resistant, rigid polypropylene flap
- Weatherproofing: Standard and heavy-duty magnets for improved insulation
- Colors: White and Black (Bronze)
Pros and Cons:
- Versatile installation options
- Weather-resistant with heavy-duty magnet option
- Chew-resistant material enhances durability
- Easy to install with a simple locking system
- Some users reported gaps allowing bugs or lizards through
- In hot climates, the plastic may expand, affecting the door swing
- Rigid flap can chip or crack with heavy use
Price: starting at $39.99
Mason Company Pickwick Kennel Pet Doors
The Mason Company Pickwick Kennel Pet Door is a premium option designed for durability and versatility. Ideal for solid core doors and kennels, it features a cast aluminum frame and a polycarbonate flap, suitable for various dog sizes and compatible with additional locking mechanisms.
- Size Options: Medium, Small Medium, Tall Large Plus, Tall Medium, Large, Tall Large
- Materials: Cast aluminum frame, 1/4" thick clear polycarbonate flap
- Weatherproofing: Suitable for four-season climates, wind-resistant
- Compatibility: Works with Mason Guillotine Doors, suitable for wall installations
Pros and Cons:
- Durable and weather-resistant
- Comfortable side-swinging design
- Adjustable spring hinges for pet comfort
- Chew-resistant flap
- Suitable for a wide range of dog sizes
- Higher price point
- May be noisy in quiet environments
- Initial learning curve for pets
- Does not include a locking cover
Price: starting at $329.99
Gun Dog Guillotine Pet Doors for Kennels
The Gun Dog Guillotine Pet Doors for Kennels is a versatile and robust solution suitable for a variety of installations, including kennels, doors, and walls. Designed with a durable aluminum frame and a frosted polypropylene panel, it ensures long-lasting performance and safety for pets.
- Sizes: Medium/Large and XL
- Materials: Aluminum frame, 3/8" thick polypropylene panel
- Weatherproofing: High wind resistance, average insulation
- Rail Height: 40" to 56", depending on the model
Pros and Cons:
- Accommodates a range of dog sizes
- Easy installation in diverse materials
- Compatible with various Gun Dog door models
- Provides good wind resistance and insulation
- Cost-effective for the quality offered
- Additional hardware like pulleys not included
- Some installation adjustments may be necessary
- Closing panel is not see-through and does not include a lock
Price: starting at $119.99
Dragon Pet Door for Doors
The Dragon Pet Door for Doors offers a cost-effective and efficient solution for pet owners, providing a safe and convenient way for pets to access the outdoors. It features a unique two-piece flap design for improved sealing and home insulation, making it ideal for various climates.
- Color: White, Black, and Creame
- Flap Sizes: Medium, Large
- Flap Type: Single Flap, Double Flap
- Material: UV-resistant polyolefin elastomer flap, thermoplastic cover
- Door Compatibility: Fits standard doors 1-3/8" - 1-3/4" thick
Pros and Cons:
- Economical, suitable for small budgets
- Strong magnets for sealing against harsh weather
- Easy installation with clear instructions
- Weather-resistant, durable construction
- Good insulation for moderate climates, with upgrade options
- The magnetic strip on the flap can come off
- Extra magnetic strip may reduce insulation if removed
Price: starting at $69.99
Installation Tips for Dog Kennel Doors
Installing a dog kennel door is a relatively simple process that can be done by most DIY enthusiasts. Here's a brief step-by-step guide:
- Tape measure
- Choose the installation location. The best place to install the kennel door is in a location that is easily accessible to your dog, but also out of the way of direct sunlight and rain.
- Mark the door opening. Use the kennel door template to mark the opening on the door. Make sure the opening is large enough for your dog to comfortably go through.
- Cut the door opening. Use a jigsaw to carefully cut the opening along the marked lines.
- Install the kennel door frame. Insert the kennel door frame into the opening and fasten it securely using the provided screws.
- Install the kennel door panel. Insert the kennel door panel into the frame and secure it using the provided latches.
- Test the door. Open and close the door to make sure it is working properly and that your dog can easily go through it.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
- Not measuring the door opening correctly. This is the most common mistake made when installing kennel doors. Make sure to measure the opening carefully before you cut it.
- Cutting the door opening too small. This will make it difficult for your dog to go through the door.
- Not installing the kennel door frame securely. This could cause the door to fall out of the opening.
- Not testing the door before you use it. This is important to make sure that the door is working properly and that your dog can easily go through it.
Proper maintenance will extend the lifespan of your dog kennel door and keep it functioning smoothly. Here are some tips for cleaning and maintaining different types of doors:
- Plastic doors: Wash the door with soap and water using a soft sponge or cloth. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners.
- Metal doors: Wipe the door down with a damp cloth to remove dirt and debris. You can also use a mild metal polish to restore its shine.
- Inspect the door regularly for signs of damage, such as cracks, tears, or loose screws.
- Check the hinges and latches to make sure they are working properly.
- Test the door to make sure it is opening and closing smoothly.
If any parts of your dog kennel door are damaged, you can find replacements at our shop. Replacing parts is typically a straightforward process that you can do yourself.
Here are some additional tips for maintaining your dog kennel door:
- Lubricate the hinges and latches regularly to keep them moving smoothly.
- Keep the door clean and free of debris to prevent damage.
- Store the door in a cool, dry place when not in use.
By following these maintenance tips, you can help ensure that your dog kennel door will last for years to come.
How We Tested The Kennel Dog Doors?
Our kennel dog door reviews are a comprehensive compilation of insights gathered from both customer feedback and in-house testing. We carefully analyze customer reviews from our website to understand the real-world experiences of dog owners with various kennel doors.
Additionally, we conduct thorough testing in our office environment, utilizing our staff's office dogs to assess the functionality, durability, and dog-friendliness of each door. This dual approach ensures that our reviews provide a well-rounded perspective on the performance of different kennel doors.
Why Trust PetDoors.com?
PetDoors.com is dedicated to earning your confidence and exceeding your expectations. Here's what sets us apart:
- Experience: We boast unrivaled expertise in pet doors, having served countless happy pet owners for years.
- Honesty: Our reviews are based on real customer feedback and rigorous in-house testing with our office pups, ensuring unbiased and transparent information.
- Commitment: Our passion for pets shines through in our comprehensive resources, expert advice, and unparalleled customer service.
- Quality: We meticulously handpick our products, offering only those that meet our high standards for functionality, durability, and safety.
We understand that choosing the right dog kennel door is a critical decision. That's why we're here to guide you every step of the way, ensuring a fulfilling experience for you and your four-legged friend.