Pride Replacement Flaps
Pride flaps consist of two parts: A rectangular central flap and a 'U' shaped piece that overlaps the flap and the frame on one side. When the pet pushes in one direction both parts swing away. In the other direction, only the central section swings. This design is the same as the Johnson Pet Door/PetSafe Ultimate flap design and the flaps are interchangeable.
Features of the Pride Replacement Flap
- Pride pet doors have these manufacturer numbers on a label on the frame: Small SD300, Medium MD400, Large LD500 and XLarge XLD600.
- Flap dimensions shown are inside the 'U' shaped gasket. So long as the label matches the manufacturer part number, don't worry if your measurement is slightly different.
- Since Johnson Pet Door and Petsafe Ultimate flaps have been discontinued by the manufacturer, many Johnson and Petsafe Ultimate owners have successfully substituted Pride Pet Products flaps. The Pride flaps fit these pet doors and are the same two-part design. However, please note these important differences:
- Pride flaps are black rubber rather than tinted vinyl. Because your pet cannot see through the Pride flap as he could with the Johnson flap it is vital that you not permit him to try to race through the Pride flap with the Johnson locking cover in place. They could be seriously injured if they run into the cover! Pride flaps are not available in a clear version.
- Both Johnson pet doors and Pride pet doors rely on the center flap and U-shaped piece to fit flat against each other. On the large size, the Johnson had a magnet placed half-way up both sides to help maintain this seal. The Pride flap does not have this magnet. However, the XLarge size Pride flap does have it.
- WARNING ABOUT SMALL SIZE: We have had a large number of returns of the Small size which seems to indicate that the Small Pride Flap is not such a good fit as the other sizes. The Small has nubs at the top and slides into a channel which holds it in place rather than having to screw it in like the small Johnson/Ultimate flaps, so that size might not work without modification. Customers have been able to modify the small and use it in their doors, but it is not a simple substitute.
- Sometimes only the magnet is missing. Unfortunately, those magnets are not available. The only solution is to replace the flap. Additional screws are not included with the replacement flap, so you would have to use your existing hardware.
- 1 year warranty.
Tools Required: A Medium Phillips head screwdriver
- Remove center screws from top of metal pet door frame. Loosen the two outer screws but, DO NOT remove outer screws at this time. Save screws.
- Pull old rubber panel out of metal frame and discard. Insert new rubber panel with brand name "Pride" facing out and steel spike plates facing in, towards rubber U-frame. Line up holes in new rubber panel with holes in metal frame. Replace screws, but do not tighten completely.
- Remove two outer screws from top of metal pet door frame. Save screws. Pull out old U-frame. Insert new rubber U-frame, being sure magnets on bottom face the metal strike plates on panel and frame. Replace screws. Do not tighten completely.
- Check to make sure that magnets line up with metal strike plates, and that the rubber panel and U-frame swing easily in the metal frame. Adjust if necessary.
- Tighten screws securely, but do not tighten with extra force since this could cause swinging panels to hang improperly.