- Cat door for screen doors, windows, and enclosures
- Fits any screen with customizable options
- 4 frame colors available
- Sturdy, aluminum framing
- 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" flap
- An email will be sent to you requesting additional information for your custom order; it will take 3-4 days to build your pet door
The Hale Cat Door for Screens is a sturdy, durable pet door that fastens into the corner of the screen frame. It is designed to fit screen doors, windows, and enclosures. Unlike many other cat screen doors on the market, this model features a vinyl flap as opposed to the screen material. It prevents cats from clawing and tearing, which in turn will save you from purchasing screen after screen.
- Aluminum framing available in 4 different colors: White, Arizona Beige, Bronze, Brushed Aluminum.
- Clear & flexible vinyl flap is easy for cats to use.
- 5 1/2" x 7 1/2" flap.
- Adjustable magnets ensure that the cat flap stays sealed.
- Fuzzy, nylon weather stripping surrounds the flap to prevent air and bugs from coming through.
- Option of including a stabilizer bar for the utmost durability.
- Corner fit provides more stability and lasts longer than common cat doors for screens.
- Access to the outdoors increases your cat's activity level.
- Accommodates cats of all sizes.
- No more clawing at the screen door.
- Avoid the hassle of letting your cat in and out all day.
- Three choices for sturdy installation depending on your screen frame design and thickness. Review ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS below for details.
When ordering a Hale Cat Door for Screens it is very important that you carefully follow these instructions. You will be contacted for this information after placing your order.
Screen Frame Thickness Options: The Hale pet screen door has various thickness options, which are listed below. When measuring your screen frame you will need to measure the thickest part.
- If your screen frame thickness is up to 1/2", but no less than 3/8", you will receive the under 1/2" model. If the frame is under 3/8" then the framing might not be sturdy enough to support the pet door, so the manufacturer does not recommend this pet door for those instances.
- If the frame is over 1/2" and you will have two choices:
- You can choose the universal model which can work on frames up to 1"
- For frames over 1" you can choose the custom cut version (used mainly for situations such as screen porches or sidelights) where the Universal model would not work. In this case, Hale will trim off one of the flanges on the channel in order to accommodate very thick framing. The remaining flange is 3/4" long and 3/4" deep . This is considered a custom, special order and all returns will only receive a 50% credit.
- If you do choose the custom cut we will need to know two more pieces of info:
- Spline on the Interior or Exterior: You will have to choose whether the spline for your screen is located on the interior or the exterior. This is determined by looking at the frame from the inside of your house. Your pet door must be installed on the same side as the screen mesh and spline. The factory will ensure that the framing provided will accommodate that.
- Pet Door Installs in Which Lower Corner: You will need to specify whether you'll be installing the pet door in the lower left or lower right corner of the screen frame looking at the frame from the inside of your house.
|Flap Size||Flap Dimension||Outside Frame Dimension|
|Small||5 1/2" w x 7 1/2" h||8 3/8" w x 10 3/8" h|
Hale Pet Door 5 Year Limited No Fault Warranty
All parts—including flaps—and labor.
Thank you for doing business with Hale Pet Door™. We are sure you will receive years of excellent service with your purchase. If the product does not meet your expectations, please contact our office for return authorization and return it within 30 days of purchase for a full refund of the purchase price. Be sure to pack the product well as we can only give 50% credit for a damaged pet door.
HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. guarantees and warrants, subject to the conditions and restrictions stated below, that the Hale Pet Door™ products and component parts thereof, purchased from HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. shall be free from any defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty period for all Hale Pet Door™ model pet doors is effective from the date of purchase and extends to the anniversary date marking the end of the fifth year. We agree to exchange or repair at our expense, F.O.B. our plant or warehouse any unit found to be defective in workmanship and/or material, subject to plant inspection. (See notes A and B below).
1st year – 100% of all parts and labor; 2nd year – 50% of all parts and labor; 3rd year – 40% of all parts and labor; 4th year – 30% of all parts and labor; 5th year – 20% of all parts and labor.
This warranty does not include shipping to HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. or any field service labor unless the product was installed by Hale Pet Door™.
A-Glass Breakage: We use fully tempered glass of the greatest quality and strength available for each application. It also meets or exceeds all safety glazing laws and codes in the United States. Even tempered glass will break on occasion, but it is very rare. When there is a breakage of glass for whatever reason, within the FIRST YEAR, we will replace the unit for 50% of the current total price. There is no warranty on the glass after the first year.
B-Parts Damaged by Misuse or Neglect: HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will pay 20% of the cost of the current list price of parts and labor. No reimbursement shall be greater than the price of the replacement part.
C-Omni Oversize Panels: This application is not recommended. Therefore, we will only warranty 50% of the cost of the panel for the first year. However, the pet door itself is covered per our standard warranty.
HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will credit 50% towards the cost of a replacement Hale Pet Door™ that was damaged due to mis-cutting, mismeasuring, or any other damage due to no fault of HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will not accept any responsibility beyond 50% if the damage is due to no fault of HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. reserves the right to inspect any and all products before honoring any claim.
Installation for Hale Pet Doors for Screens
Always wear eye protection and gloves when appropriate.
PLEASE READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY BEFORE BEGINNING INSTALLATION.
The Hale Pet Door “Screen Pet Door” is designed to fit into one of the lower corners of a screen door frame or screen window frame that is ½” thick or less. In screen frames that are ½” thick or less the pet door is completely reversible and will fit into either corner of the screen frame. The purchaser must specify when ordering if their screen frame is thicker than ½” so modifications can be made at the factory to accommodate those frames. Once modifications are made at the factory the pet door is no longer reversible. This means that a “right” or “left” determination must be made at the point of order. This is done from the perspective of a person standing inside the screen and looking outward to determine on which side they wish to install the pet door; “right” or “left”.
Note: The Hale Pet Door™ screen model is not designed to work on security doors. A “door” model is much better choice for a security screen application.
Step 1: Before installation, be sure that you have the proper size pet door for your pet. If in doubt, larger is better. It may be harmful for your pet to use a pet door that is too small. A good general rule is to install the pet door so that the distance from the floor to the top of the passage opening is even or above the shoulder of your largest pet. If you have more than one pet, make sure the tallest pet has shoulder clearance and the shortest pet will not have to jump through the opening.
Step 2: Take a brief look at the large diagrams of the screen model at the end of the instructions and become familiar with various components of the screen model. This will not only help in understanding the terms used in these instructions but can be very useful should you need to call for technical support.
Step 3: Check the package you received to make sure that it contains all the necessary items.
Complete Kit includes:
|Instructions with drawing||Warranty|
|Hale Pet Door™ Screen Model||Screen Spline|
|5/8” #6 Phillips Head Screws||7/64” drill bit|
Tools you will need:
|Screen spline roller (handy but not necessary)||Drill|
|Phillips headed screwdriver||Razor blade|
|Flat headed screwdriver||Needle-nosed pliers (optional)|
Step 4: If the pet door has not already been factory modified for a certain position, determine which corner of the screen door is to be used for installing the pet door.
Step 5: Remove the screen window or door from its track. The screen door can generally be removed by lifting it upward and swinging the bottom inward. Occasionally the wheels will interfere with removal. In this case, the wheels will need to be lifted upward to clear the track.
Step 6: Lay the screen window or screen door on a flat surface with the screen spline facing upward
Step 7: Remove the screen spline (the ribbed rubber around the screen) from the installation corner. Needle-nosed pliers work very well for removing the screen spline or you can also carefully use a screwdriver at the corner to get started. If using a screwdriver, be careful not to cut into the spline or slice into the finish of the door frame.
HINT: Only remove the spline from the corner you will be working on, going a little bit farther than the finished size of the pet door. Leave the spline attached for the moment and just push or fold it out of the way.
After you have pulled up the spline, fold the screen material back only at the corner in which you want to install the pet door.
Step 8: Slide the pet door over the frame at the corner. Make sure the pet door is adjusted properly and operates smoothly while in position. It should be flush against both the bottom and side edges. If your screen model was not factory modified, there should be a U-shaped track that slides over the edge of your door frame. If your screen door is wider than ½” and your screen model was factory modified, there should be an L-shaped channel that rests on the top of your frame and allows the pet door to fit flush against the screen door frame.
Step 9: Drill through the sides and bottom of the inner pet door frame and screen frame with the 7/64” drill provided. Insert the #6 screws with a Phillips screwdriver. Be sure the screws will not interfere with the operation of the screen door.
Step 10: Lay the screen material over the pet door. Pull the screen material taut. To hold the screen fabric around the pet door, insert the screen spline with a flat headed screwdriver or screen spline roller.
NOTE: Depending on the size of your screen door and the pet door you are installing, you may be able to use the excess screen spline that is still attached to your screen door. Simply turn a 90° corner with both sides of the spline and press them into the pet door spline frame track until they meet. If there is not enough excess spline from your screen door or if you do not wish to use it, simply insert the screen spline that came with your pet door.
When installing the spline in the corner of the pet door unit, it may be necessary to cut a small diagonal split up into the screen material in order to relieve the tension on the screen fabric and allow it to be pulled down into the spline frame track. NOTE: Be careful not to cut too far into your screen fabric or you will have a hole at the corner of your pet door. See the picture to the left for a close up of a correctly installed pet door.
Step 11: Cut away any excess screen spline with a razor blade or scissors. Cut away the excess screen material with a razor blade being careful not to cut into the screen spline or the finish of the pet door.
Step 12: Reinstall the screen door or screen window into its original position.
Step 13: After reinstalling the screen into a vertical position, adjust the magnets in the pet door upward or downward if needed. The magnets are pressure fitted and can be adjusted downward by tapping lightly with the handle of your screwdriver. They can be adjusted upward by twisting a flat headed screwdriver below the magnet between the magnet and frame. Be sure to adjust the magnets upward from the inside of the door so as not to mar the outer door finish.
Your installation is now completed. We hope you and your pet enjoy your HALE PET DOOR™ for years to come.
How to Order
Hale Screen Mount Pet Door
Make sure it fits!
Is this easy to install?
You would have to use tools and it requires some drilling, so you do need to be more on the handy side. If you are not totally confident then it is best to get a pro to install it.
Do I need the stabilizer bar?
If you want a more sturdy installation you can get the bar, but it is not necessary if your pets are smaller and more gentle.
Can you lock the kitty door?
They don't include a locking cover, as the pets could damage the screen and frame if they scratch out it trying to get out. Basically you would just close the window or door.
Can you put this on a Screen tight porch enclosure?
These are perfect for screen porch or lanai.
Is there only one size?
Yes, we carry large size Hale pet doors for screen doors.
Can you get two flaps?
They only offer the single flap in the screen version.
What keeps the flap closed?
There are magnets that seal it up and a fuzzy pile weather stripping forms a bug seal surrounding the flap to prevent bugs from getting in.
Can you get replacements for the flap?
Yes, they are available here, make sure that you choose the Outside option in the drop down.
How do I know which to order?
Under the details tab we have all the information about ordering under our "How to Order" section. If you are still unsure go ahead and email us a few photos of where you installing it and we can take a look and let you know.
Can you see through the pet door?
Yep! The flap is a clear flexible vinyl.
Why does Hale ask about so many options on the screen mounts?
There are many options for Hale Screen Doors because they are highly customizable, and they are very thorough about making sure they give you the right product. If the frame of the screen is over 1/2" in thickness, then it has to be modified.
Options that are brought up when selecting a Hale pet door screen mount:
- 1. 'Pet Door Installs in Which Lower Corner' - Specify whether you'll be installing the pet door in the lower left corner or the lower right corner of the screen when looking from the inside of the house to the outside. The terminology used by Hale is 'handing'. 'Handing Left' simply means that you'll be installing the pet door in the lower left-hand corner of the screen when looking from the inside of the house.
- 2. 'Customer Screen Frame Thickness Options' - The Hale pet screen door will be modified at the factory to fit varying thicknesses of your screen framing if necessary. Here are the various situations:
a. Your screen frame is thinner than 3/8". If you are considering a larger size or have a particularly vigorous dog, then your framing may not be sturdy enough and you might want to reconsider making this purchase. This option is not offered for that reason.
b. If your screen frame thickness is up to 1/2" choose option 1. No further information is needed.
c. If your screen frame thickness is over 1/2", choose the second option if your screen mesh and spline are located on the outside side of the screen frame-- 'exterior'--and the third option if they are located on the inside, or 'interior', side. Your pet door must be installed on the same side as the screen mesh and spline and the factory will ensure that the framing provided will accommodate that.
3. Hale Pet Door Screen Mount Stabilizer Bar Kit - A normal Hale pet screen door is supported down one side and across the bottom by your screen framing. The Screen Mount Stabilizer Bar Kit adds an additional support across the top of the pet door. We think this is a very good idea for larger sizes and more vigorous dogs. Available bar widths are 36" and 48". Choose the size at least as wide as your screen and then cut the bar with a hacksaw to fit. All fittings needed are included with the kit. To order this kit, please go to the Stabilizer Bar Kit page.