How to Convert Your Screen Door into a Pet Door with a Screen Pet Door Conversion Kit
Screen doors are a fantastic way to let in fresh air during the summer, but they can block your dog’s access outdoors. Pet owners shouldn’t have to decide between enjoying a cool breeze or installing a pet door for their dog’s health.
That’s what the screen conversion kit is here to solve. The screen conversion kit includes all the parts you need to transform your standard screen door into an entryway for pets. You can still keep bugs out of the house while your dog can have the freedom to explore the outdoors.
Using the screen conversion kit is simple and easy, and it comes with a variety of benefits, between the high quality of the pet door it makes, to its ease of use, and its aesthetics.
Why Should I Get A Screen Conversion Kit?
If you’re on the fence about using the screen conversion kit, don’t worry. We know it’s a unique product that you most likely have not seen elsewhere before. While it can be scary to be the first to hop onto a trend, there are plenty of reasons why screen conversion kit is an ideal pet door solution, such as:
- Versatility with Integrity: Your screen door will retain its primary function of keeping out bugs and debris while simultaneously becoming a durable entry and exit point for your pets.
- Safety: The screen conversion kit provides a safe, separate entry for your pets, ensuring that they aren't squeezing through gaps or risking injury.
- Reduced Wear and Tear: The screen conversion kit comes with durable tape that reinforces the edges of the screen mesh, preventing fraying.
- Flexibility: This transformation allows your pets the flexibility to move in and out as they please, reducing disturbances for you, especially during odd hours.
- Cost-Effective: Turning your screen door into a pet flap can be a cost-effective solution compared to purchasing a brand new pet door, especially if you will need to hire a handyman for installation.
- Maintaining Aesthetics: By integrating a pet door into the screen door, you maintain the overall look and feel of your home, without the need for drastic alterations.
- Easy Adaptation: Most pets quickly get the hang of using the flap, ensuring a hassle-free transition with little to no dog training.
- Increased Physical Activity: A pet door flap promotes more outdoor time for pets, ensuring they get the required physical activity and mental stimulation needed to maintain their physical and mental health.
- Increased Independence: The pet door flap fosters independence, allowing pets to cater to some of their needs, like potty breaks, without you needing to play doorman. This means you can sleep better and be out of the house more often.
- Home Value: Believe it or not, a well-installed pet door flap can be a selling point for potential buyers who are also pet owners, adding a touch of convenience and thoughtfulness to your home's features. And if you need to remove the flap, all you have to do is replace your screen’s mesh.
So, before you discard the idea, weigh the advantages. A screen door transformation might just be the pet-friendly solution you've been searching for.
How Do I Install My Screen Conversion Kit?
If you’re ready to take the plunge in converting your screen door into a pet door, have no fear. The screen conversion kit is easy to install, making it the perfect one-day DIY project.
You can view the full set of instructions here, as well as watch the video below:
Here’s a step-by-step guide:
Parts included with kit:
2 Screen Magnets
2 Frame Magnets
1 Roll of Protective Tape
- Painter’s Tape
- A Pencil
- Screwdriver (Optional)
Pro Tip: For the best results, do a thorough read of the instructions before diving in.
1) Ready Your Screen Door:
Detach your screen door from its track or hinges and set it on a spotless, level surface. If you spot any rips in your screen door, it's crucial to mend or replace them before installing the pet door.
2) Measure Your Furry Friend:
Here's where your pet's dimensions come into play. Measure from the floor to the highest point of their shoulders. Use painter’s tape for marking on the screen door frame. Then, mark a point 5" above the height you measured.
3) Set Up the Screen Magnets:
On the screen's external side, stick the screen magnets to the bottom corners. Ensure a small gap remains between the frame and magnets.
4) Apply The Protective Tape:
Run a tape strip along the bottom edge, ensuring it overlaps the screen magnets but not their faces. Apply more strips on the sides without touching the frame.
5) Double Up On The Tape:
Flip the screen door to its opposite side. Now, reapply tape on this side, aligning it perfectly with the first layer.
6) Strengthen Your Screen Flap:
To reinforce, place horizontal tape strips connecting the top split of the screen to the frame. Turn over the door and repeat.
7) Excise Screen Spline:
Here, you'll create the pet door opening. Carefully take out the screen spline and trim the extra screen material.
8) Fit the Screen Door Back:
Once done, reinstall the screen door. You could also simply prop it up vertically.
9) Affix the Frame Magnets:
Let the frame magnets attract the screen magnets face-to-face. While the flap hangs, apply mild tension and adhere the sticky side of the frame magnets ensuring they close perfectly.
10) Final Touches:
Trim away any superfluous screen material. Alternatively, for added bug protection, let it remain.
Remember: While this process is termed 'easy,' always approach it with patience and precision. The key lies in the details, so take your time and you'll have a pet-friendly screen door in no time.
Considering a More Traditional Route?
If converting your screen door isn't quite your style, there are other options to consider. You can install a pet door directly into your screen mesh.
Some of our favorite, durable doors include the Hale Pet Door for Screens, the PetSafe Pet Screen Door, and the RCR Easy Screen Cat Door. You can find out more about them on our official list of the top screen door pet doors of all time.