Read More Below
Click on a manufacturer logo below to learn more and view their products
If you need a manufacturer's return information, click here.
PET DOOR TIMELINE
PetDoors.com's roots go back to 1976, when the "Sliding Glass Pet Door'; made its first appearance. We've been around awhile, so we've seen it all! Here is a quick history of the manufacturers and brands that we carry:
- 1892 - Mason, the premier company for animal enclosures was founded. Makers of the Pickwick and Guillotine doors they have sold more kennel systems than anyone else in the world.
- 1946 - The now makers of the Easy Screen Pet Door currently manufactures over 3,000 products. RCR International is still one of the fastest growing consumer based manufacturers.
- 1952 - Johnson was one of the first successful pet door manufacturers in the USA starting in the 1950's. The company that produced Johnson pet doors was bought by Petsafe (Radio Systems), who then produced the same design under the name Petsafe Ultimate. Another company called Pride made a pet door of similar design which is still seen today.
- 1958 - Carlsonwas founded, specializing in double acting traffic doors for commercial applications. Moving later to the pet door making business, their products are made to insulate well and last in very heavy use environments.
- 1972 - Pride Pet Doors was founded and continues to market under that same brand name to this day. Using the same design as the Johnson makes for an interchangeable flap.
- 1976 - Patio Pacific was incorporated in 1976 specifically to market a new type of pet door--the 'panel' pet door for sliding glass door. This new product, the 'Instant' Pet Door, was the first of it's kind to offer an adjustable height capability.
- 1978 - Primeline, a large supplier of parts for windows and doors enters the market. They offer a wide range of door locks and other security products used in conjunction with pet doors for windows and sliders.
- 1979 - Ideal Pet Products is founded, also know by the Perfect Pet Brand. Today they are known for manufacturing many different dog and cat door options that are easy to use and affordable.
- 1985 - PlexiDor, a trusted provider for energy efficient doors is established. These doors are particularly unique in their "saloon style" rigid flap design.
- 1985 - Hale Pet Door was founded in 1985 in Phoenix, Arizona and now offers 10 models of some of the highest quality pet doors in different colors and 11 standard sizes, along with custom options for special situations.
- 1986 - High Tech Pet Products got its start as one of the nation's largest and most trusted electronic pet door manufacturers. High Tech is known for their Power Pet fully automatic, motorized doggie door and lines of other training and fencing electronics.
- 1986 - Ani Mate was established which includes both Cat Mate and Dog Mate brands. They are best known for their large line of electronic and innovative pet products.
- 1987 - Known for their durability and versatile installation capabilities Gun Dog House Door Company which supplies "chew proof" kennel doors was created.
- 1991 Patio Pacific Thermo Panel comes out as the first dual pane sliding glass dog door.
- 1991 - The largest manufacturer of electronic pet training products, PetSafe, was founded. They would go on to acquire other pet door companies such as Johnson and US Pet Products under their parent company Radio Systems. They are currently operating in over 50 different countries.
- 1992 - On the other side of the spectrum, the need for screen door options was addressed by the founding of Bug Off Screen. The hands free entry, durable mesh, and easy installation makes this temporary screen one of the best choices on the market.
- 1996 - WJ Dennis was purchased by RCR International and continues to supply the RCR Easy Screen Pet Doors.
- 1997 - PetDoors.com goes live.
- 1998 - PetSafe buys Johnson and begins to market the doors under the PetSafe name.
- Early 2000's - PetSafe acquires Pet Eze/US Pet Products and begins marketing them as Pet Safe Classic and Deluxe.
- 2002 - Patio Pacific Thermo Panel 2 comes out as the first dual pane sliding glass dog door. These doors used PetSafe's Classic Pet Door for the flap.
- 2004 - CH Enterprises got its start and released their Cathole Pet Door. This simple and innovative design made hiding a litter box much easier. Also it is 100% made in the USA.
- 2004 - Patio Pacific develops the Endura Flap line of patented pet doors that address the 12 important factors that define pet door excellence. The first product is the new Thermo Panel 3.
- 2005 - Endura Flap door mounts are released.
- 2005 - The manufacturer of the Wedgit Charley Bar is incorporated. Making a great quality product as an accessory to any patio panel.
- 2005 - Staywell was sold to PetSafe.
- 2006 - Endura Flap wall mounts are released.
- 2007 - The Endura Flap high-performance pet doors won Fancy Publications Editor's Choice Award in 2007 based upon their superior technology and engineering.
- 2008 - As technology expanded, new electronic options for cats appeared in 2008 in Europe with SureFlap Pet Doors. These award winning microchip controlled cat doors were introduced to North America in 2010, are actually the #1 best selling cat flap on Amazon UK.
- 2009 - In 2009 Lakeside Products acquired Magnador Pet Doors which had been around for over 40 years. Specializing in an affordable option especially for kennels.
- 2010 - Comfort Design introduced the innovative Pet Door Guys through-glass pet door utilizing the Endura Flap Pet Door.
- 2010 - Pozzy Pet Door for Screens, distributed by Super Pet Doors hit the market. Also know as Petway these doors originated in Australia and offer a much sturdier alternative to the simple through screen doors.
- 2013 - A breakthrough in pet door security came about when Watchdog introduced a universal steel security cover. They are the only company that markets a product like this.
- 2013 - PetDoors.com began carrying the Magic Mesh Screen. This simple and affordable product is distributed by CAVA, a leader in as seen on tv products.
- 2015 - Super Pet Doors changed over and is now known as Super Pet Products. They continue to distribute the Pozzy Pet Doors for screens as well as other pet products.
- 2016 - Comfort Design, aka Pet Door Guys, is purchased by Lindsay Window and Door and continues to manufacture the high quality through glass pet door units featuring the Endura Flap.