- The most stylish and functional pet door for French Doors
- Sturdy aluminum Hale Dog Door framing available in four attractive colors
- Clear, flexible flaps are easy for pets of all sizes to use, single or double available depending on your insulation needs
- Matching locking cover incorporates a pin lock for excellent security
- The custom French door pet door will replace a pane of glass in your French Door
- An email will be sent to you requesting additional information for your custom order
Usually, when you purchase a pet door, you cut a hole in a door to fit the pet door. Sometimes, it's just the reverse: you already have a hole and you need a pet door made to fit the hole. Most often this situation comes up when someone wants French doors with dog door placement. If you want to remove a pane of glass and install a pet door in its place, this Hale French Door Pet Door is the perfect solution. Here are a few important things to consider:
- First, be sure these really are separate panes of glass. Some French doors are a large sheet of glass with wood facing to look like separate panes. That is a very different situation and not the best option for French doors with doggie doors.
- Check that the resulting pet door will be large enough for your pet. You'll lose about two inches (actually, you lose 2 1/16" in width and 1 3/8" in height) in both dimensions. So, for example, if you measure that the opening available to you after removing the pane of glass is 8"w x 10"h, you end up with a flap dimension of about 6"w x 8"h. If necessary, you may need to remove more than one pane of glass. You can cut down into the wooden crosspiece to make the flap lower if necessary. Remember to actually measure your pet. Be sure you don't compromise the strength of the door, however. See below for more about measurements.
- After you measure the opening horizontally and vertically, multiply the two numbers together to get a total square inches. So, if you've measured 10"x12" the result would be 120 square inches. Using this number you can see the range that you need to choose. The minimum rough-cut dimension is 7"x7".
- Please note that the square inch ranges are only used for pricing purposes. The French door dog door is built to your exact dimensions; it is not adjustable. Please be sure that the height dimension and the width dimension, when multiplied, result in a number of square inches in the range that you specified.
- In addition to your dimensions, the factory wants to know if your installation is for a French door or not. So, when you enter your dimensions, please note that as well. For example, you might type: "10"w x 12"h for French door".
- The standard door thickness range is from 1 3/8" to 2". A dimension larger than 2" would normally be considered a wall unit. It can be factory modified to collapse to as small as ¾ gap (call customer service if you need this change 800-826-2871).
- Do not add 'a little extra' for safety. The factory already does this. We've never had a properly-specified custom dimension door not fit.
- Normally the locking cover slides straight down from the top and is secured by a steel deadbolt. If there is an obstruction above, you can add a 'side-load option' at no extra charge.
- All Hale pet doors come standard with "polar" flaps--a vinyl that is more flexible in cold weather than "regular" vinyl. You can order Hale Replacement flaps if you need them. Very flexible 'training' flaps may be ordered for pets who are initially resistant to pushing through the regular flaps.
|Square Inch Range (width x height)|
|***Returns on custom dimension doors will only be allowed a 50% credit***|
If you have a rough cut out dimension but want to know the finished tip to tip (total outside frame dimension) here is how that is calculated:
Rough Cut Out Dimension Width + 1-1/4" = the Tip to Tip Measurement Width
Rough Cut out Dimension Height + 1-1/4" = the Tip to Tip Measurement Height
If you need a certain size flap dimension for your pets here is how to calculate what the rough cut out would need to be:
Flap Width + 2-1/16" = the Rough Cut Out Width
Flap Height + 1-3/8" = Rough Cut Out Height
How do I measure square inch range?
Multiply the width by the height of the hole you are installing it in.
What is the thickness range for this door?
The thickness range is 1 9/32" to 2". Any dimension larger than 2" would be the Hale Custom Wall Mount. Any dimension smaller (up to 3/4") is possible, but you would need to call customer service (800-826-2871)
Can this be used for French doors?
Yes, since they don't make French door inserts like they do for the patio sliding doors. However, make sure that your French door actually has separate panes of glass. If it is just a large sheet of glass, it's a different situation that should be avoided if possible. Also one thing to keep in mind is that French doors with dog doors tend to have much higher step overs so they may not be the best for very small dogs.
My French door is a single pane. What now?
We would recommend the Hale Through the Glass Door instead.
I want a French door doggie door, but my door has dual pane glass - what should I do?
You can have your glass replaced with a Pet Door Guys Insulated Glass Unit. The new glass will not have grids.
Can I return this?
Because these pet doors are built custom to your specification, returns will be allowed a 50% credit toward the purchase of a different Hale Pet Door. The PetDoors.com return policy applies in respect to time limits only.
How do I get a Hale replacement flap for my French door with doggie door?
Since you have custom dimension what we would need to know is the tip-to-tip measurement of the outside frame.
What is the minimum rough cut out dimension?
7"w x 7"h
Does this come with a locking cover?
Yes, all door units come with a 1/4" thick high density polyethylene Starboard closing cover.
What are the total outside dimensions of the door?
To figure out how large the outside frame is you take the Rough Cut Out Dimension + 1 1/4" = Tip to Tip Measurement
How do I figure out the flap dimensions?
To figure out what the final flap dimension for your pet would be you take the Rough Cut Out Width - 2 1/16" = Flap Width Rough Cut Out Height -1 3/8" = Flap Height
Do I have to use a custom door?
The dog doors for sale off the shelf are often not the correct dimensions to fit into the door once the glass pane is removed. This is why many customers have to go custom. but it you can make a standard pet door fit you're one of the very lucky ones.
Is this good for weather resistance?
The Hale is great for insulation if you are using it for an exterior door with a dog door application. You can get the double flap for even better wind and weather protection.
Dimensions of doors?
We do have to ask for the exact rough cut out (hole you would be left with to install the pet door). This can be the measurement of the width and height of a cut out in a regular door, or the opening you are left with once you take out the glass.
Is this an entire French door with dog door built in?
We don't carry French doors for patio with a doggie door built in. So you would have to have an existing French door or purchase a new one separately.
Can this pet door be installed in double French doors?
If you want to have double French doors with doggie door, it is possible. Most homeowners choose the non-operational or rarely used side to install the pet door. All other topics addressed on this page apply to the installation.
Is this the entire door?
This is not the entire French door with dog door built in, it is only the pet door. We don't sell the entire French doors with built in dog door.
What is the largest French door with pet door?
You will use your existing French door and install a custom made pet door. The largest size will depend on how many glass panels you remove. The largest possible size is 522 square inches.
We have double French doors - should we install this on the one we use or the stationary one?
We recommend that you place it on the stationary side. If you need to put a step or ramp on either side it will not interfere with you using the operational French door.
Can I buy French doors for patio with a doggie door built in?
In traditional French Doors with individual panes of glass, you can purchase a Custom Dimension Dog door for French door and install it into your existing door.
Is this my only option for a French door insert?
Depending on the type of glass you have you could replace the entire unit with a glass piece that had a pet door already installed into it. This would be the best dog door in glass French door option if you did have individual panes of glass.
Do I have to install these dog doors for glass French doors in just a French door or can I put them in sliders?
We have the pet door guys through glass units if you find that you want to put it through a French door and not actually as dog door for glass French door applications. This would involve removing your existing glass and replacing it with a piece that had a doggie door for French door installed into it for you.
Hale Pet Door 5 Year Limited No Fault Warranty
(All parts-including flaps-and labor)
Thank you for doing business with Hale Pet Door™. We are sure you will receive years of excellent service with your purchase. If the product does not meet your expectations, please contact our office for return authorization and return it within 30 days of purchase for a full refund of the purchase price. Be sure to pack the product well as we can only give 50% credit for a damaged pet door.
HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. guarantees and warrants, subject to the conditions and restrictions stated below, that the Hale Pet Door™ products and component parts thereof, purchased from HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. shall be free from any defects in materials and workmanship. The warranty period for all Hale Pet Door™ model pet doors is effective from the date of purchase and extends to the anniversary date marking the end of the fifth year. We agree to exchange or repair at our expense, F.O.B. our plant or warehouse any unit found to be defective in workmanship and/or material, subject to plant inspection. (See notes A and B below)
1st year – 100% of all parts and labor
2nd year – 50% of all parts and labor
3rd year – 40% of all parts and labor
4th year – 30% of all parts and labor
5th year – 20% of all parts and labor
This warranty does not include shipping to HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. or any field service labor unless the product was installed by Hale Pet Door™.
A-Glass Breakage: We use fully tempered glass of the greatest quality and strength available for each application. It also meets or exceeds all safety glazing laws and codes in the United States. Even tempered glass will break on occasion, but it is very rare. When there is a breakage of glass for whatever reason, within the FIRST YEAR, we will replace the unit for 50% of the current total price. There is no warranty on glass after the first year.
B-Parts Damaged by Misuse or Neglect: HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will pay 20% of the cost of the current list price of parts and labor. No reimbursement shall be greater than the price of the replacement part.
C-Omni Oversize Panels: This application is not recommended. Therefore, we will only warranty 50% of the cost of the panel for the first year. However, the pet door itself is covered per our standard warranty.
HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will credit 50% towards the cost of a replacement Hale Pet Door™ that was damaged due to mis-cutting, mis-measuring or any other damage due to no fault of HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. HSPD Manufacturing, Inc. will not accept any responsibility beyond 50% if damage is due to no fault of HSPD Manufacturing, Inc.
HALE PET DOOR™
HSPD MANUFACTURING, INC. RESERVES THE RIGHT TO INSPECT ANY AND ALL PRODUCTS BEFORE HONORING ANY CLAIM.