Best Automatic Pet Doors for 2024
Have you looked around and considered how many electronic devices you are using on a daily basis? Nearly every appliance or modern household item has electronics helping us and sometimes frustrating us, too. They have even made their way into the world of pet doors.
There are many manufacturers producing some of the best electronic dog doors ever to make your life and the life of your furry friends easier and safer. While smart dog doors offer the basic functionality of a pet door—to let your dog or cat outside and then back in again—their options and purpose vary greatly.
Like manual pet doors, electronic dog and cat doors can be installed in human doors, walls, sliding glass doors, and sash windows. Additionally, they can prevent unwanted animals from entering your home (a couple of models keep out raccoons), restrict which pets are allowed to use the door, feature timer controls, and can even raise the “flap” for the pet!
And most of all, these types of pet doors can keep your pet feeling safe from any outside elements. Many will also not interfere with an electronic dog fence or have collars that can work with both. Let’s review some of the most popular models of these doors and their features:
- The Best Raccoon-Resistant Electronic Pet Door
- The Best Electronic Door for Larger Dogs
- The Best Selective Electronic Pet Door
- Why Should You Choose an Electronic Pet Door Over Manual?
The Best Raccoon-Resistant Electronic Pet Door
For small doggies and cats, a popular electronic door model is the Cat Mate “Elite” 305 Super Selective Electronic Cat Door.
- Uses RFID collar key technology, ships with two keys (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Program a maximum of eight pets
- It has a cool feature that shows which pets are either inside or outside
- Flap size of 6 inches wide by 6 inches high
- Timer control included
- Install in a human door or wall (using wall liners)
- Three-year limited warranty
For larger dogs, the electronic doors that raise the flap for them, like the High Tech Power Pet Automatic Pet Door, is a great option. Both of these doors have a safe-close mode to prevent the door from closing on your pets.
Another thing to consider when selecting this style of pet door is that the interior frame can be as high as 54 inches so you’ll need plenty of vertical wall or door space.
- Activated by a battery-powered pet's collar key (MS-4 is water-resistant and MS-5 is rugged and weatherproof). Ships with your choice of one collar key (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- The power source is any wall outlet
- Optional battery backup and optional battery charger kit available in case the power goes out. You may use a battery as the primary power source on door mount or sliding glass door panels
- Available in two opening sizes: 8 ¼ inches wide by 10 inches high and 12 ¼ inches wide by 16 inches high
- Programmable 4-way access control (Open, Closed, In-only or Out-only) for an unlimited number of pets
- Door installation, wall installation (wall kit needed), or a sliding door panel insert
- One year warranty
Want to let one pet out while keeping another in the house? There are doors for this scenario too. The PetSafe Electronic Smart Door has you covered!
- Battery operated - no need to mount near an outlet.
- The collar requires batteries; ships with one collar tag key (additional collar keys available for purchase)
- Two flap sizes: 5 ½ inches wide by 7 ⅞ inches high and 11 inches wide by 16 inches high.
- Programmable for up to five pets
- Installs in a human door or wall (wall kit needed)
- One year warranty
There are a few other doors for pets using simpler, magnet technology, but they don’t offer the technical options and clever solutions like the ones highlighted. As technological options expand there will be even more electronic pet door solutions in the future. Until then, you can view our current selection on our website! If you are deciding between manual and automatic options for your cat, take a look at our post about finding the right cat door for you and your pet!
Pet doors are just like animals; they come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and colors. They are made for cats and dogs and they are made in both manual and electronic versions. These electronic options often restrict the full access of manual doors with the help of dog's collar keys. They do not often offer double flap options, but usually have locking mechanisms for any animals without a dog collar key.
You need to make an informed decision on getting a manual pet door or an electronic pet door. Learn the stark difference between each of them and decide on the best suitable manual or electronic pet door for you.
Manual pet doors are the most common option and have a broad selection to choose from. Manual pet doors allow for the same freedom as an electric dog door, but you cannot proactively manage what critters can use it. This could result in stray animals or other undesirables entering your home.
A manual pet door is a great option for potty training, if you live in an area where wild animals or burglars are not much of a concern, or if you have a small pet and are looking for an inexpensive option to give your pet the freedom they deserve.
Electronic pet doors have all the benefits of their manual counterparts, but also add a level of security, as only your pet or pets are granted access. This is done through collar keys or implantable chips, which makes the door open once they are within a short-range. Flap doors are usually rigid plastic, making them more energy efficient in cold weather and less prone to chewing.
Electronic pet doors have an extra measure of security because only recognized pets with collar keys or microchips will be able to use the pet door. These pet doors allow your pet to enter and leave your home while keeping out the strays looking to mark new territory, the wild animals looking for food, and any other unwelcome intruders.
All of these doors have locking features where a physical plastic or metal piece holds the door closed, equivalent to a small deadbolt lock.
For large dog breeds, electronic pet doors can provide peace of mind that someone will not be able to come into the house via their pet door. The size of the pet door may also deter burglars because they would be wary of the size and type of dog behind the dog door.
When selecting your pet door, don’t forget to take into account your pet’s size. Not all pet doors are accessible for large breed dogs, and you don’t need a large door if you only have a small pet or cat. That’s why we have doors made for pets of every size!
Also, we never recommend installing an electronic pet door in a metal door, or close to any sort of metal material appliance, as metal can interfere with the electrical function of your pet door. The last thing you’d want is to cut a hole in an area of your house for your pet door and have it not work!