The Ideal "Fast Fit" Patio Pet Door Insert
The Ideal "Fast Fit" Patio Pet Door Insert is a "spring load" patio panel pet door which requires no tools for installation (except for the included pin lock).
The regular flap is a molded sheet of vinyl with magnets at the bottom only. We recommend the 'fast fit' with this flap for temperate climates only. A higher quality verion that includes the Ultra-flex flap has been discontinued and is no longer available.
Glass is 1/8" clear tempered.
Be sure to carefully check your track height compared with 'Adjustment Range' to be sure of a fit. If your measured track height is not covered by one of the standard adjustment ranges, you may purchase a special height extension panel in the 'regular' or 'tall' height ranges to make the height suitable for your sliding glass door track. this extension panel is not offered for the 'shorty' height range.
What height should the extension be built to? Here you must supply a height in inches. Calculate it by subtracting the maximum height of the adjustment range of the panel you've chosen from the measured height of your sliding glass door track and adding 2 1/8". So, for example, if you measure your track height at 88" exactly, you'd subtract 80-3/8" from 88" equals 7-5/8" and add back 2-1/8" = 9-3/4". You'd specify 9-3/4" in the dialog box offered.
The maximum over-all height you can achieve in this manner is 110-1/2" and the tallest the extension should be built is 14". It can be made to 16” but the manufacturer suggests that you would then semi-permanently install it for stability. Because the height extension is built to your custom dimension, it is not returnable, though the panel itself is (provided you haven't ordered any other custom feature like an outside keyed lock or custom step-over)..
Weather-stripping is included but only for one side of the panel. This should go between the panel and the sliding door. You'll probably benefit by adding additional weather stripping for the other side which can be purchased on this site or from any hardware store.
When measuring your pet, you may find that the 'standard' flap size offered for the Fast Fit is appropriate but not the standard 'step-over'. The Ideal Fast Fit is available with 'custom' step-over heights which are offered in the selection drop-downs after you have chosen flap size, adjustment height and frame color. Since this option is built to order, allow about 1 or 2 days extra for delivery. Please note that the custom step-over is a custom option and the pet panel cannot be returned.
One exclusive feature of the Ideal Fast Fit is the outside keyed lock option. If you leave your home by the patio door then you'll want to lock up from the outside. Adding the keyed lock option to the Fast Fit allows this. Note two things here: First, you must specify which way the sliding glass door opens when inside the house looking out. This choice is on the drop-down menu for the keyed lock option. That specification enables the factory to mount the keyed lock on the correct side of the panel. Second, plan to fasten the pet door securely into the track using sheet metal screws. If you don't, the lock won't work and the whole unit will just pull to one side. Since this option is built to order, allow about 1 or 2 days extra for delivery. Please note that the keyed lock is a custom option and the pet panel cannot be returned.
There are two other ways of solving this problem that we should mention
- You can probably move the stationary glass panel to one side and install your pet door against the opposite jamb. That allows you to continue using your existing lock and also avoids having to make any adjustments to an alarm system if you have one.
- The other possibility is to purchase an 'in the glass' pet door that has the pet opening go right through the glass of your sliding glass door. That also avoids any locking or alarm problems. You'll find this type at the sliding glass door category page. (If you want an electronic sliding glass pet door go to the electronic patio pet doors category page).
There are quite a few details that might be important for you to think about in purchasing any panel pet door. Begin with Key Points to get a quick overview of the most important issues. Then study the comparison chart and read the information on the Patio Panel FAQ page which cover the fine points of patio pet doors.
Frame thickness is 5/8". Draft stopper or 'center post weather-strip' is included.
Most, but not all, Ideal Patio Panels built with the regular vinyl flap include a plastic frame immediately around the flap. On occasion these frames break. Don't buy a whole new patio pet door! We carry the replacement flap assembly (see Flaps & Parts/Replacement Flaps & Related). But, If you happen to have metal framing immediately surrounding the flap, you'll probably only need a replacement flap. Be sure to get the 'Deluxe' version in that case.
PLEASE NOTE: This product ships directly from the manufacturer and may take 1-3 business days before it actually ships.
1. Release automatic height adjustment by turning knobs located near top of panel counter-clockwise and pressing. Height adjustment panel should fully extend upward (pull up on panel if necessary).
2. Open sliding glass/screen door.
3. Insert Fast Fit with knobs facing inside. Place top edge into top track of sliding glass/screen door. Lift up and swing lower portion of panel onto ridge in sliding glass door (or screen door).
4. Slide Fast Fit against doorjamb and make sure that top is fully extended, not tilted to one side, and bottom of panel is on ridge in bottom track (Figure 1). 5. Hand-tighten knobs by turning clockwise to lock Fast Fit in place.
To permanently install the Fast Fit, you may screw through the aluminum fins that protrude on the existing frame of your door. Drill through the fins into the Fast Fit. Install two screws in the top and two in the side by the bottom of door. Do not put any screws into the frame by the glass of the Fast Fit as breakage may occur.
Optional permanent placement for fixed panel sliding door. Remove screws that hold fixed glass panel in place and slide over. Insert the Fast Fit panel between stationary panel and it's jamb and re-fasten fixed glass panel.
Installing Security Lock (Optional)
1. With sliding door in closed position, place lock in desired location with bolt in the retracted position, pointed toward the sliding glass door or stationary window rail. Leave approximately 1/8" clearance between bolt tip and aluminum rail (Figure 5).
2. Holding lock firmly in place, mark screw holes and center of bolt in rail of sliding door or stationary window.
3. Drill two 5/32" holes for mounting screws and a 3/8" hole for locking bolt. Caution: Do not drill into glass.
4. With sliding door in the closed position (with Fast Fit installed), mark position for second set of holes.
Repeat above instructions. Caution: Do not drill into glass.